Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This deserves a thread I feel - Pouille bought back down to earth after his AO run, and being the reigning champ here too.

And who beats him but a pretty much down and out Marcos! Can't remember the last time he strung two main draw ATP match wins together :surprise:

Go Bag!

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Bagghie teaching the lil' Frenchie.

Couldn't bear the hyping of him before and even after the AO semi.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Not so surprising. Baghy has class to beat most players as long his fitness allows it. Gave Pouille a tough match in USO too.

As for bringing Pouille down to Earth, I don't think he was flying very high after that AO SF trashing.
So all these years later Baggy can still handle an AO semi-finalist... and ppl say Fed was part of a weak era!! :D :D
Baghdatis is '85, that's closer to Novak/Nadal than Federer's generation. Once ATG's from later gens showed up, Fed stopped racking slams as he did before.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts
Lucas Pouille bashed last year for peaking in small tournaments, now bashed for peaking in slams and losing early in a 250 event. Typical.
He's just bashed for being inconsistent :nerd:

Not so surprising. Baghy has class to beat most players as long his fitness allows it. Gave Pouille a tough match in USO too.

As for bringing Pouille down to Earth, I don't think he was flying very high after that AO SF trashing.

Baghdatis is '85, that's closer to Novak/Nadal than Federer's generation. Once ATG's from later gens showed up, Fed stopped racking slams as he did before.
tried to downplay his shit performance by saying he couldnt have done anything lol

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I still don’t get how he could reach the semifinals, but I guess when you get popyrin in r3 and coric in r4 anything is possible

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
I conclude that most people commentating here didn't watch. This was a high quality affair. Kind of a match I'd watch every day. Both players showed great fight (and some mandatory mugging, ofc). Nice to see Baggy is still capable of peaking like that. Alas, he can't sustain the peak over any significant stretch of time. He should've closed it easier, was serving for the 2nd set, but Pouille's top class counterpunching brought it back to even terms.
Not sure what Marcos has left in the tank for today. Albot can be tricky - always scrambling. But if he plays anything like vs. Pouille, he should pull through. Fingers crossed for the old(er) guard.

·
Registered
14,083 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
This match ruined my night, even though I only caught a few games at the end of the second set (should have been in bed but got sidetracked after turning the computer on again). The little I did see was pretty good play mixed with nerves from both players.

Seems every time Pouille threatened to gain a foothold in the contest, he would relinquish it - sometimes through self-destruction e.g. the DF that gave Baghdatis his first chance to serve for the match. The Cypriot couldn't manage it then (partly due to Pouille stepping up on return) but obviously did so later on.

<RANT>

The commentator alluded to Baggy rolling back the years and indeed, it was nice to see him show a glimpse of the form that took him to the AO final all those years ago. It's quite annoying for me to see some people here deriding him and other contemporaries, claiming they're prime examples of a 'weak' era.

No, Baghdatis didn't live up to his full potential like so many others before him - and undoubtedly many others after... That doesn't mean he wasn't a really good player (and exciting to watch) at one time, only that he couldn't sustain it long enough. Another reason I hate the Big 3 wars on here with the emphasis on statistics and elevating/putting down their opponents to boost/diminish their achievements.

As much as I root for the NextGen guys, I admit that many of them lack the flair and charisma even 'lesser' players of an earlier era, like Baggy or Gonzo, had. Personally, I value players most for the interest and enjoyment they provide me when watching them, not for bragging rights over GOAT/BOAT/COAT or whatever status.

</RANT>

1 - 17 of 17 Posts