Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sinner destroyed him in Next Gen Finals and I was expecting the same here, but Ymer was just too much for MTOAT this time. The Ethiopian is playing better and better and I think he started to be more aggressive from the baseline, good to see.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sinner had this ''idgaf'' attitude during the whole match and made too many unforced errors. Even when he broke in 2nd, his body language has been pretty the same. Ymer instead was really solid, serving well and pushing less than usually. He should play vs Krajinovic in the next round, so I think he has a decent chance to go even deeper in this tournament.

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Very, very strange. Judging by their previous match, these two were truly in different leagues. Is Sinner not taking this seriously? I really hope he improves his attitude because I don't want Jannik to become another Berdych... or worse.

As for Micke, good for him. He seems focused on tennis, deserves at least some wins.

Reactions: enlightenedth

·
Moderator | PreviewBot
15,401 Posts
Very, very strange. Judging by their previous match, these two were truly in different leagues. Is Sinner not taking this seriously? I really hope he improves his attitude because I don't want Jannik to become another Berdych... or worse.

As for Micke, good for him. He seems focused on tennis, deserves at least some wins.
Being a berdych would be a pretty solid going! Right now he would not accept 0 slams in future but maybe in 10 years he will wish he had Berdych money/stats.

I agree he has been strange since Milan

·
justice for all
18,910 Posts
Kinda expected. Sinner has just a temporary dump that started at the beginning of this year and will probably last for a few months. No need to hype this kid too early @Budadiii

·
Premium Member
29,587 Posts
Being a berdych would be a pretty solid going! Right now he would not accept 0 slams in future but maybe in 10 years he will wish he had Berdych money/stats.

I agree he has been strange since Milan
Yes for most people, having a career like Berdych's would be great. But with Sinner's potential (and Berdy's too btw), it would be kind of a waste. Besides, concerning the 0 slams thing, at least Tomas had the excuse of facing big 3 at their peak. Jannik won't have such an excuse.

Reactions: NextGenKing

·
Registered
9,576 Posts
I watched a few games here and there. Apart from WTA fest in the second set, Ymer was quite impressive. Really aggressive compared to what I saw from him in the past, and it paid off. Should keep moving in that direction. Sinner, otoh, is all over the place. Was really unfortunate to have his momentum stopped by the off season. The burden of expectations is uncharted territory for him. He'll find his grove soon rather than later.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts

This court is much slower than Milano, a court that was way too fast for Ymer to get full use of his defensive game. Plus Sinner was playing like a top 20-30 player then.

Ymer will continue to win matches at the ATP level. I think the best players will find him quite easy to play against since he doesn't have a big serve, but he will beat many of the ordinary baseliners by playing smarter.

·
Registered
11,905 Posts
So far in 2020, Sinner has only beaten Max Purcell, a 215 ranked WC. Not a great start to the year considering all the hype.

Good to see Ymer continuing his good form from last year

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Saw a good amount of this match. Not impressed with either tbh although Ymer was better than other times I've seen him.

Match was WTAesque with 5 straight games with breaks.

Sinner does have great touch at the net though, or he did today, but his serve needs work.

·
Premium Member
26,391 Posts
What's up with Sinner this year?

He showed so much promise last year that he forgot the pressure or just taking a dive?
Anyway, expecting lot more from him as the season will near it middle...

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Sinner is only 18, he's allowed to have a dip. obviously he's in one now. But tbh, it's not like he's lost to bad players this year. Ymer has come into this match in good form (took Khachanov to 5th set tiebreaker), and was playing much more confidently.
Sinner is probably lacking a bit of confidence compared to before but his losses haven't been terrible. Lost to Fuscoviscs at AO, which is hardly that bad given Fucsovics's run in that tournament. Lost to Ruusuvuori who's in the form of his life and a great player. and he lost to Paire in 3 sets in Auckland.
Hopefully he's able to pick up a few wins in Rotterdam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts