Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Can't be bothered anymore
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monte Carlo to remain Masters Series event
Wed Jul 25, 2007

LONDON, July 25 (Reuters) - Monte Carlo will remain a Masters Series event after the ATP dropped plans to downgrade it, the men's governing body and event organisers said on Wednesday after resolving their legal wrangle.
Monte Carlo organisers filed an antitrust lawsuit against the ATP in April over its plans to demote the event as part of a reshuffling of the calendar from 2009.
"The ATP and the Masters Series Monte Carlo are pleased to announce that they have resolved the litigation pending between them," they said in a joint statement.
"The Monte Carlo tournament will continue in its traditional date in mid-April as part of the ATP's top series of events, with the same ranking and prize money levels as those events."
World number one Roger Federer had been among several top players who were unhappy with the ATP's plans to demote the claycourt tournament.

Source: http://uk.reuters.com/article/tennisNews/idUKL2590399120070725

·
Registered
21,222 Posts
so Hamburg is being down graded?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
Interesting to see what happens to Hamburg now.

·
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I understood it right during the reporting of the Stuttgart tournament the moderator mentioned something that it is possible that the Hamburg tournament could be postponed, so that Hamburg and Stuttgart could be played back to back.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
When I understood it right during the reporting of the Stuttgart tournament the moderator mentioned something that it is possible that the Hamburg tournament could be postponed, so that Hamburg and Stuttgart could be played back to back.
Let's hope that will indeed be the case, and that Hamburg too will keep its Master's status! :D

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,507 Posts
I think their masters status should be dependent on people being able to see the freaking ball
Too bad they don't have that option of seeing inside people's heads before they are allowed to post here.

·
23,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ATP and Masters Series Monte Carlo Resolve Litigation

The ATP and the Masters Series Monte Carlo are pleased to announce that they have resolved the litigation pending between them in Delaware Federal Court.

The Monte Carlo tournament will continue in its traditional date in mid-April as part of ATP's top series of events, with the same ranking and prize money levels as those events.

From 2009, Monte Carlo will receive a different player commitment and a specific entry system will be adopted which will allow players wishing to enter the Monte Carlo tournament to satisfy some of their playing obligations under the ATP's new calendar.

The resolution of the litigation confirms ATP’s development of its 2009 calendar with its key aims of making fair demands on players, increasing investment in the circuit and producing a season that is clear for fans and media to understand and follow while preserving and respecting the tradition of Monte Carlo as a top tier tournament.

Source: http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=21324

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
http://www.tennis.com/news/ticker.aspx

Monte Carlo and the ATP have settled their legal dispute, the two parties announced on Wednesday.

"The Monte Carlo tournament will continue in its traditional date in mid-April as part of ATP's top series of events, with the same ranking and prize money levels as those events," said a joint press release.

"From 2009, Monte Carlo will receive a different player commitment and a specific entry system will be adopted which will allow players wishing to enter the Monte Carlo tournament to satisfy some of their playing obligations under the ATP's new calendar."

The Monte Carlo and Hamburg Masters Series events sued the ATP in March, saying they believed the ATP's planned restructuring of the tennis calendar would lead to the downgrading of their tournaments.

What the hell does that mean?!

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
What a brilliant news!! :D
Monte Carlo is the one tournament I'd love to visit most among those I haven't been to yet.
It really deserves Masters series status for its winner is always most likely to win RG the same year.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
Monte Carlo was never likely to be downgraded; always high level fields. However, I think Hamburg probably may lose its status. It does not have the same level of support that either Rome or Monte Carlo have.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
In which case Hamburg would not remain a master series. Post Wimbledon many top players will not play a clay court event which does not fit in the calender.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts