Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,578 Posts

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Only watched the third set, shame how it ended for Tsitsipas (DF) especially having been up an early break :sad: Medvedev did well to recover and regroup from the middle breadstick, his defence frustrating the Greek as usual.

The handshake was predictably cool and quick.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Not exactly fireworks, but many great rallies with some good tactical play from both and without interpersonal drama - that's how it should be.
It was hard to assess which would be the bigger weapon - Tsitsipas' forehand or Medvedev's backhand (alternatively which one is a bigger liability - Tsitsipas' backhand or Medvedev's forehand?). Sadly, it came down to nerves. Tsitsipas broke at the beginning of the third set to get in 2-1 lead and failed to consolidate. After that he made too many avoidable mistakes, too many unnecessary net rushes, while Medvedev was more patient. A DF on a match point was anticlimactic.
Tsitsipas clearly puts too much pressure on himself in this match up. The (Bullshit) Russian is simply more mature at this point. Quite ironic, given how juvenile his attitude was not so long ago. Perhaps he grew out of it. Hopefully Shut your f*** up! will grow up soon, too. He has the potential to be equally dangerous on all surfaces.

·
Registered
8,953 Posts
its actually quite hilarious that stefanos just cant beat medvedev even on his worst surface. and you know how bad he wants to. given how highly he thinks of himself i imagine tsitsipas is just seething about losing to him again

as for daniil its good to see him going deep here. give him some confidence on clay. and at least someone i like is having a good year

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Even if OHBH is a beautiful shot this is unfortunately an useless shot in today's tennis, especially on clay. Even Thiem would be much better player with double-handed BH.

·
28,469 Posts
The handshake video will be the next one Tsitsitpas and his team try to take down after the ball boy incident last year.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Even if OHBH is a beautiful shot this is unfortunately an useless shot in today's tennis, especially on clay. Even Thiem would be much better player with double-handed BH.
I disagree. Tsitsipas just needs to hit more down the line to Medvedev's forehand. That's a very risky shot in windy conditions, so that made things extra hard today.

Tsitsipas gets great angles on his cross-court backhands, and that would have been effective against almost any other right-hander. But Medvedev's backhand is so strong that it's almost like playing a leftie.

I don't see much wrong with Tsitsipas's game. He just needs to tighten it up and sharpen up his tactics. He also needs a disciplined game plan against Medvedev, and to play the percentages more. That suggests to me that he might need some fresh coaching input.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Medvedev is the best nextgen player. So even on his supposedly worst surface, he could still dispatch other overhyped nextgen handily.

·
Registered
600 Posts
No, no, no. Bresnik made thiem switch from a double handed back hand to a single hander because thiem was too passive. Thiem didnt win a match for over a year I believe but stuck with it and is now is top 10 with a slam final and a masters to his credit.

It is easy to look at one handers and think that they would be better if they had a two hander backhand, particularly on return of serve, but that misses the point that if they had a double hander they may not have even made it to the ATP to begin with. A single handed backhand forces players to be more aggressive rather than grind and there is space for players who play like that to make it to the top.

The fact that there are five single handers in the top 20, ranging in age from 20 to 37, demonstrates that it is not dead yet.

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
This is one of the most interesting match ups when it comes to 'youngsters. It seems to me that Medvedev is hungrier and a more serious player. He finds a way to win.

He might be your word #1 at some point :nerd:.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Good enjoyable and intensely played match.

You could tell the tension on Tsitsi to win ,Medve OTOH is not with a problem here, he's as cool headed as any other match,

I'm glad the cool lad def. narcissistic prick

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I disagree. Tsitsipas just needs to hit more down the line to Medvedev's forehand. That's a very risky shot in windy conditions, so that made things extra hard today.

Tsitsipas gets great angles on his cross-court backhands, and that would have been effective against almost any other right-hander. But Medvedev's backhand is so strong that it's almost like playing a leftie.

I don't see much wrong with Tsitsipas's game. He just needs to tighten it up and sharpen up his tactics. He also needs a disciplined game plan against Medvedev, and to play the percentages more. That suggests to me that he might need some fresh coaching input.
It's more risky and difficult to play OHBH DTL, with DHBH it would be easier to control it. And because of OHBH Tsitsipas return is his major weakness. Medvedev was serving very poorly and except of the 2nd set, Stefanos couldn't do anything with it.

No, no, no. Bresnik made thiem switch from a double handed back hand to a single hander because thiem was too passive. Thiem didnt win a match for over a year I believe but stuck with it and is now is top 10 with a slam final and a masters to his credit.

It is easy to look at one handers and think that they would be better if they had a two hander backhand, particularly on return of serve, but that misses the point that if they had a double hander they may not have even made it to the ATP to begin with. A single handed backhand forces players to be more aggressive rather than grind and there is space for players who play like that to make it to the top.

The fact that there are five single handers in the top 20, ranging in age from 20 to 37, demonstrates that it is not dead yet.
I know what Bresnik said about it, but I don't believe all this story. It's not true that with good DHBH you has to be passive. There are a lot of players on tour who prove it wrong.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts