Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides two or three games in 2nd set it was GOAT mode from Wawrinka. Monaco was average but really nothing he could do.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stats:

Wawrinka 23/34

Monaco 5/20

Really looked like Stan had better ratio

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Good job Stan :yeah: :)

Reactions: Bradley~

·
Premium Member
20,656 Posts
Stan had a few lapses but also played some lovely tennis.

That outfit though :hysteric:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
I personally like Stan's new kit, although I know a lot of people say it looks like he's playing in his boxers. :lol:

Benoit also showed up to watch his buddy (and play around on his phone).

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
53,592 Posts
Stan was the aggressor throughout by playing with decent margin. Second set was closer, with Stan's serving dropping to well below 30%, and two breaks each, before one decisive break to send Stan home. It could be like the AO, a good tournament where he did well in the past might give him some luck.

Of course the main attraction was the checked shorts. :p

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I personally like Stan's new kit, although I know a lot of people say it looks like he's playing in his boxers. :lol:

I guess it shows how much Paire cares, he should be already warming up for his match :D

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Awesome from Stan in the first set.

The second looked like it was going the same way as the Madrid match vs Thiem, but Stan thankfully showed good resolve to win it. It helped that Monaco has a poor serve and is relatively powerless.

I'd love to see a Stan-Djokovic match here :drool:

·
Registered
8,531 Posts
Let's no overreact - you don't need GOAT mode for Monaco. :)

In the end, it comes to pure power.

·
23,541 Posts
Still having a low 1st serve percentage but as I said, if he gets that going he wins most points. Still needs to get over losing the first game of the 2nd Sets, but at least was able to recover by breaking back. Broke Monaco in an important game and served for it well. Hope he finds his rhythm now maybe practice a bit on that 1st serve (maybe take the pace off due to having an average of 190+ KPH in his first serve to maybe around 170 KPH until the time he has the confidence to get bigger serves consistently) and maybe try to get forward in the baseline because this match he was quite behind.

·
53,592 Posts
That means Stan makes it to the finals - so he'd be playing good you'd have to think!

·
Premium Member
20,656 Posts

I could deal with the shorts if the shirt was just a solid colour, more neutral if the shorts is gonna be so busy. The two together are just silly. (Though I don't love the shirt either)

I guess it shows how much Paire cares, he should be already warming up for his match :D
He's a bad influence on Stan. :(

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Awesome from Stan in the first set.

The second looked like it was going the same way as the Madrid match vs Thiem, but Stan thankfully showed good resolve to win it. It helped that Monaco has a poor serve and is relatively powerless.

Although he was twice up a break in the second, it never really felt like Monaco was likely to win the set. He was facing BPs in pretty much every service game, and had next to no winners.

·
Registered
29,246 Posts
Outclassed. Even when Stan was down in the second set it felt like he was gonna win it. Might do well in this tournament.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Let's no overreact - you don't need GOAT mode for Monaco. :)

In the end, it comes to pure power.
No, you don't, but he was hitting some great shots, particularly in the first set but also at the tail end of the second. Great to see some form again after the NA swing.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Although he was twice up a break in the second, it never really felt like Monaco was likely to win the set. He was facing BPs in pretty much every service game, and had next to no winners.
True. But at 0-2* in the second it looked like he might implode. It helped that Stan returned well throughout and that Monaco has no serve.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Good stuff from Stan. Had a bit of a wobble in the 2nd but got the job done and apart from a few poor misses he was hitting some lovely shots.

·
53,592 Posts
No, you don't, but he was hitting some great shots, particularly in the first set but also at the tail end of the second. Great to see some form again after the NA swing.
Form is a very strange thing. After winning Monte Carlo, Stan lost in R3 to Thiem at Madrid and Haas at Rome, then in R1 of RG. Of course, saying he peaks in this tournament could turn out right, but hasn't got much say on how he does elsewhere on clay...:shrug:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts