Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First set was a beatdown, the second one a classic mugfest which obviously favoured Zverev as the infinitely stronger player mentally.

The Fogmeister waits.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Felix is just gone mentally. He handed this match over on a silver platter with an truly incredible amount of unforced errors. Started playing well in the beginning of the second but that's not good because it gives him a lead and that means it's time to start playing awfully all over again.

He has a tough challenge ahead to overcome the mental issues he's having.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The only positive thing for Felix in this one is that he stopped his streak of getting broken to serve out the set (It happened 4 sets in a row before this match lol)! Won't be consistent in every tournament at this stage of his career so I'm not surprised by this performance. He'll get a chance to redeem himself next week at Barcelona. Looking good to be seeded at RG as well.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The only positive thing for Felix in this one is that he stopped his streak of getting broken to serve out the set (It happened 4 sets in a row before this match lol)! Won't be consistent in every tournament at this stage of his career so I'm not surprised by this performance. He'll get a chance to redeem himself next week at Barcelona. Looking good to be seeded at RG as well.
I mean you say it stopped his streak but really it didn't. Up breaks at two different times in the second only to give them away right back. After giving away the 2nd break advantage he had, at 4-4 he was up 0-30 on Zverev's serve, oh and he gave that game away too. At that point, the match was over. He is struggling mentally big time.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
single digit winners by both, must have been an epic shotmaking contest :yeah:
Don't remember the overall stats, but Zverev already was at 8-5 W/UE after set one. :lol: That's how terrible the second set was, adults-only level. The United States are going to use the replay to torture their prisoners.

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
MC is a great tournament with great views and rich history, but it's hard to enjoy a surface on which such tall strong guys play noticeably better on return than on their serve.

I expected worse from Zverev. He was decent in the first set and less so in the second. As per he started feeling complacent getting in the lead. FAA could've won the second - was up a break twice. Alas, he couldn't hold his nerve, double faulting and spraying errors to give the breaks back. Game-wise he's there already. Getting steadier mentally will take him to the next level.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Very ugly match from both players really. Felix was just bad for most of it.

Played with very little confidence today.

·
28,447 Posts
Felix is just gone mentally. He handed this match over on a silver platter with an truly incredible amount of unforced errors. Started playing well in the beginning of the second but that's not good because it gives him a lead and that means it's time to start playing awfully all over again.

He has a tough challenge ahead to overcome the mental issues he's having.
:lol:

He is an 18 year old playing the #3 player in the world.

·
Registered
28,788 Posts
:lol:

He is an 18 year old playing the #3 player in the world.
Hah. #3 in the world sounds great but Zverev isn't a great of the game in any sense of the word and has been pretty shit lately. Lost to Jaume Munar last week. Zverev isn't harder to beat than anyone else in the top 15 except for maybe Coric.

Felix having mental troubles has little to do with Zverev anyway. Yes FAA is only 18 but every 18 year old doesn't collapse like FAA did against Isner. Sure it might work itself out but right now it is an issue.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Guess that puts an end to the random AF "unbeaten against Top 20 he's played" stat that was thrown around—oh wait, the loss to Isner did that already.

Not surprised or too concerned about the result, people keep thinking an 18-year-old would all of a sudden dominate the tour but tournaments like Miami will be the exception, rather than the rule. After seeing him struggle against Sonego I knew despite his poor form coming into MC, Zverev would be a tough ask for him.

My biggest concern is why he has such a poor serve (especially 2nd) when he's 6"4. FWIW I don't think it's related to his height, maybe something mental, but his serve should really be better.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
MC is a great tournament with great views and rich history, but it's hard to enjoy a surface on which such tall strong guys play noticeably better on return than on their serve.
Well, duh :grin2: that's the challenge for the players to overcome and one of the beauties of the game variation. But I get what you say, I hate that kind of tall long distance pushing. I reckon a lack of proper aggressive clay courters ala Thiem or Nadal . A long long time

Edit: OTOH did you watch Herbert's victory ? that was enjoyable classy and talented tennis. So it's not the surface my friend :shrugs shoulders: it's the players

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Why is this - high bounce?
I think it's mostly mental. They are not used to start every service point on neutral terms and grind it out. Knowing the games on your serve are almost as much of a lottery as on return adds pressure. The accuracy suffers across the board too - barely scratches 50% on 1st serve.

Well, duh :grin2: that's the challenge for the players to overcome and one of the beauties of the game variation. But I get what you say, I hate that kind of tall pushing too. I reckon a lack of proper aggressive clay courters ala Thiem or Nadal . A long long time
Welp, the sport is moving towards taller, bigger and stronger. We better get used to this unnatural tennis. :rolleyes:

Edit: OTOH did you watch Herbert's victory ? that was enjoyable classy and talented tennis. So it's not the surface my friend :shrugs shoulders: it's the players
Yep, PHH is fun to watch on clay. I love watching Nadal on grass too. :p On that note, I even enjoyed Struff - for whatever reason he feels very comfortable and confident on this stuff. Go figure. :p

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Great win by Alex, hopes he gets his mojo back as soon as possible. He has been under-performing for quite some time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts