1,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rublev was 6-4 4-1 up

Classic Fabio

Rublev :help:

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Unfortunately missed most of this match, but this is such an epic match-up. Arguably the best on tour.

Their Umag encounter was the match of the year for me, Beijing last year was also extremely high quality tennis and this looked very good too in the few games I watched.

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I have to say I didn't believe in a comeback here, when Fabio was 4-6 1-4 down and making tons of errors, but after he saved 5 break points in that game, he was another player. Huge win, taking into consideration his season so far, but hopefully he can build on this.
55 unforced errors and still did it. :sport:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I have to say I didn't believe in a comeback here, when Fabio was 4-6 1-4 down and making tons of errors, but after he saved 5 break points in that game, he was another player. Huge win, taking into consideration his season so far, but hopefully he can build on this.
55 unforced errors and still did it. :sport:
He did it for Flavia.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Rublev was the last leg of my combi bet so you can imagine how I feel haha. That's what I get for betting on 2 headcases going head to head.

Disgusting wrong override by the umpire at 4-3 15-15 by the way, and another ball wrongly not called out at 5-4 15-15. Not Mourier-level, but not too far on the first call....ugh

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'd imagine you hedged you position.
Nope, I was out of funds on the betting account and by the time I realised what was about to happen and considered re-crediting it, the odds were much less desirable :crying: So it makes it all the more bitter :frown2:

·
Registered
14,087 Posts
Rublev up 6-4 4-1 + 5 BP's to serve for the match, and another BP the next game...

ouch.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Fognini trolling as usual, delicious stuff

·
Registered
10,057 Posts
If this was some ATP 250 event he'd probably give it away. But since it's a MS event he gave it one more push and boy it was worth it. :nerd: Great fight from Trollini and a nice comeback.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Word of advice, don't gamble.
Sound advice :smile2: I was actually a semi-professional poker player but all the benefits from that were eaten into betting and general gambling >:) I don't have the necessary restraint to "gamble responsibly" :frown2:

·
Registered
600 Posts
What has happened to fognini ? His ground strokes were generally good and he was able to move rublev around but there were a lot of errors but far worse was his serve. it was bloody awful. he wont go far in this tournament serving like that. I only think he won because Rublev is a bit of a head case and got tired and started failing on his serve in the third set the way Fog was earlier. I really like the way fognini can play but he wont be on the tour for much longer if he keeps playing like this. he's ranked 97 n the race to london and he looked it.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Rublev was the last leg of my combi bet so you can imagine how I feel haha. That's what I get for betting on 2 headcases going head to head.

Disgusting wrong override by the umpire at 4-3 15-15 by the way, and another ball wrongly not called out at 5-4 15-15. Not Mourier-level, but not too far on the first call....ugh
Yes, i was really surprised by the first over-rule as it looked clearly out even before hawkeye confirmed it was out. Unlucky for rublev but earlier fognini was waiting to give the match to him and rublev didnt take it so it's really on him for letting him back in.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Sound advice :smile2: I was actually a semi-professional poker player but all the benefits from that were eaten into betting and general gambling >:) I don't have the necessary restraint to "gamble responsibly" :frown2:
just stop gambling. you will lose money in the long run...
if you do it just for fun, and you are fine with losing money, then continue :)

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
What has happened to fognini ? His ground strokes were generally good and he was able to move rublev around but there were a lot of errors but far worse was his serve. it was bloody awful. he wont go far in this tournament serving like that. I really like the way fognini can play but he wont be on the tour for much longer if he keeps playing like this. he's ranked 97 n the race to london and he looked it.
4 days is a long time in tennis :D

·
Registered
600 Posts
What has happened to fognini ? His ground strokes were generally good and he was able to move rublev around but there were a lot of errors but far worse was his serve. it was bloody awful. he wont go far in this tournament serving like that. I only think he won because Rublev is a bit of a head case and got tired and started failing on his serve in the third set the way Fog was earlier. I really like the way fognini can play but he wont be on the tour for much longer if he keeps playing like this. he's ranked 97 n the race to london and he looked it.
4 days is a long time in tennis :D
So true but his serve is still weak, only 48% first serves in and he only got 1/8 (if i remember correctly) in that game when he was serving at 5-0. Who would have thought he could break nadal so many times. I expect the wind had a part to play in making it very hard to get any penetration. They mentioned that there were 13 breaks of serve in just two sets in the doubles match beforehand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts