Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've seen FAA be very clutch and he can be mentally strong but also matches like this where he has serious problem to close out the match even though he's in control.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Broken serving for the match but got it done eventually. He'll need to learn to close better. Hopefully will come with age.

Into the top 30 for now in the live rankings.

Fun matchup next with Zverev.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I was able to watch the match this morning until 6-5 for Felix before going to work. Camera angle was more on court level than usual and I decided to really focus on the toss when Felix was serving. As soon as the match started I saw the toss all over the place. Sure enough, Felix got broken when serving for the first set up 5-3 with a couple of doubles (None for the match before that point)...and now I'm reading that he got broken serving for the second set?

That means he's now lost his last 4 service games when serving for the set dating back to Miami. He really needs to fix the toss ASAP to reach the next level...he can get away with it for the most part when things aren't tight. But when the pressure mounts up it will continue to breakdown.

Now on the positives, he was really dominant from the baseline and playing at a very high level until 4-1. This first match will help with the confidence before playing Zverev next round...I really like his chances in that one and it wouldn't big that big of an upset given Zverev's current level imo.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Well watching the tape and Djok live at the same time, back and forth, I would say Felix is playing better than Djok today.

Can't wait to see the AZ/Felix match, I think Felix can win unless AZ is playing his best game.

But please no Isner match types chokes when closing! though I hear he had some already today .... argh.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Good win for FAA but he really needs to sort out his serve, especially when closing out sets/matches. He got away with it today but against a better opponent... :scared:

·
Registered
217 Posts
If Felix plays like he did in this match Zverev will wipe the floor with him. Felix was pretty good up until 4-1 in the first. After that point Londero just controlled almost every single rally for the remainder of the match. He was the aggressor and honestly Felix was just a passenger to where Londero wanted to take him. Felix played maybe 25% of his best level. He really had next to no confidence in his shots after giving up the 4-1 lead in the first.

Four straight sets serving to take said sets, four straight times broken. I don't even think the ball toss was an issue this time. It was just the pressure. Obviously what happened in Miami was and still is fresh in his mind and it showed. He had no serving problems the entirety of the match aside from those two games.

He will need to be a lot better.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
If Felix plays like he did in this match Zverev will wipe the floor with him. Felix was pretty good up until 4-1 in the first. After that point Londero just controlled almost every single rally for the remainder of the match. He was the aggressor and honestly Felix was just a passenger to where Londero wanted to take him. Felix played maybe 25% of his best level. He really had next to no confidence in his shots after giving up the 4-1 lead in the first.

Four straight sets serving to take said sets, four straight times broken. I don't even think the ball toss was an issue this time. It was just the pressure. Obviously what happened in Miami was and still is fresh in his mind and it showed. He had no serving problems the entirety of the match aside from those two games.

He will need to be a lot better.
Miami was far from the first time he's had issues serving out sets/matches. He just still struggles with the pressure quite often.

As far as raising his level against Zverev, I have no doubt that he will. He always plays better against better competition. Whether that will be enough to win against another power baseliner (who, for now, is more consistent than him), I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Miami was far from the first time he's had issues serving out sets/matches. He just still struggles with the pressure quite often.
I agree! Miami was out of this world for him, pre-Isner at least. It's good to know he has this sort of performance in him. He has done it, now he has to figure out how to do it consistently. I do not expect him to perform like he did up until the semifinal all the time, at least not at this point in time. Overall his serve is improving, not regressing.

I've liked his performance against Londero. He was not an easy opponent on clay and despite his own struggles, Félix kept the focus and managed to win both sets. He can take some positive from it, like "hey, I missed my first chances, but I won both sets nonetheless, so no need to be so nervous, I can create more chances at ATP level when I have to". Then later on he can perhaps feel a little more relaxed when serving for a set. I mean, I know it's not as simple as what I've just described, but everything goes into his bag of experience and for now, the bag is almost empty so every little bit matters.

As far as raising his level against Zverev, I have no doubt that he will. He always plays better against better competition. Whether that will be enough to win against another power baseliner (who, for now, is more consistent than him), I'm not so sure.
I agree with you again. He also seems to have an easier time with players who have an attacking style.

Zverev has to be the clear favorite here, but he hasn't been consistent lately and Félix is even more unpredictable with so little ATP experience. Who knows what can happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts