Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Monte Carlo QF: Wawrinka def Raonic 7-6 6-2

Intresting first set, Roanic was twice up a mini break in the TB.but somehow lost. after that wawa raised his level an raonic tanked.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Power hitting from Stan. That BH :worship:

Gotta get the 1st serve % high against Rafa tomorrow to stand a chance though. Rafa is Wawa's toughest match up on tour and this is his beloved Clay.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Talented shotmaking will usually prevail over botting so there's no suprise here

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
Dull faced with dilemma - lose to his lapdog Ferrer or get roasted and embarrassed by Stan on clay. It's a tough one.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
This match completely turned on the net cord winner that Stan got late in the TB. Without that, Milos wins the 1st set and you probably get a completely different kind of 2nd set (and match) after that.

But as it stands, Milos' game and will dropped off in the second while Stan only raised his own. It was a fairly high quality match to that point too like their other encounters, so that was unfortunate.

Good week for Milos overall, though. Best result ever at MC and he still looks primed to have his best clay season yet.

Stan, on the other hand, is seemingly returning back to his AO form just in time for clay season. Will be interesting to see what kind of challenge he can put up against Nadal tomorrow. I think he can definitely push him if he gets a high percentage of first serves in and brings that new clutch mentality to it.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
If Stan will play like vs Marin he will beat Rafa. Rafa isn't in top form.
The matchup plays a key part here. Nadal is much tougher for Stan on clay because of the bounce of his CC forehand to Stan;s one hander. Stan can't afford to rally much with Rafa on this surface.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Milos should have won the 1st but then couldnt rebound.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I knew someone would get a still of Milos at the net :haha:

There were two net cords in the TB, in consecutive points from 3-4. First one went against Stan (FH hit the tape, didn't go over) and the second one went for him (BH pass that flicked the tape)

Stan was so relaxed that he was having regular banter with the cameraman. :worship:

·
23,063 Posts
Kind of tentative 1st Set from both, where Stan kind of struggled on his first Serve (only ~50% I think), while Raonic was in servebot mode with good returns more or less. Nice touches on the net for Raonic which last year fails most of the time. Clutch performance by Stan to keep up and prevent break points, while Raonic was almost gotten a break point too. The TB came and I was personally kind of scared for Stan as he lost the 1st point, but recovered the 1st minibreak with a daring passing DTL. Stan got broken back again, but an error gave Stan I think the point back. Then Stan rallied to get Raonic up to pressure and folded and served up and Ace to finish the match! Hope he really bumps up his 1st Serve as it would be a very big weapon for him against whoever wins next.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts