Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
24,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Indian Wells being cancelled, the number of maximum mandatories is now down to 11. However, even if there are weeks that mandatory points drop without a substitute that week, it eventually gets filled up a week or so later, making it 12 within 52 weeks again. Without further notice I could just assume Indian Wells is just cancelled this year even if there's attempts to resume later this year. However there is one non-mandatory Masters which is Monte Carlo, and I wonder if with enough preparation they can make it a 96-draw event and start the Wednesday just before it will normally start.

Even if they can't, I wonder what tournament they can do to possibly fill up the calendar with a mandatory Masters event. Will a 500 like Beijing, Tokyo or Washington temporarily upgrade this year? Oracle having an agreement with the Asian tournaments doesn't sound too farfetch'd. Will they finally consider Halle or Queen's Club as a Masters tournament just for this scenario?

·
Registered
5,937 Posts
IMO MC is also in big danger, too close to France and northern Italy. Miami probably has a better chance of taking place as usual than any of the clay Masters.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Monte-Carlo is in big danger. It is not France but on "French Territory" and all events (Sport, concerts, ...) in France until 15 April may have only 1000 people at the maximum and Monte-Carlo starts on Saturday 11 April with the qualification this year.
I wonder what they are going to do : either play it with no spectators or cancel it ?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Monte-Carlo is in big danger. It is not France but on "French Territory" and all events (Sport, concerts, ...) in France until 15 April may have only 1000 people at the maximum and Monte-Carlo starts on Saturday 11 April with the qualification this year.
I wonder what they are going to do : either play it with no spectators or cancel it ?
Playing with no spectators sound like good middle ground decision, players should agree to half prize money. Or are they too greedy for that?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Monte-Carlo Country Club is, in fact, in France.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Montecarlo is 30 km from Italy. In the next few weeks France will be locked down and its population quarantined, following Italy's suit.
I think the entire clay season will be cancelled, even if they will try to save FO.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Lucas makes a good point. Although the tournament is called Monte Carlo, the grounds are entirely in France, just east of the boarder. It will likely go ahead without spectators or with a very limited number of wealthy folks.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Playing with no spectators sound like good middle ground decision, players should agree to half prize money. Or are they too greedy for that?
In my opinion and if they want to play, they should agree to play in empty stadiums and with a reduced prize-money, otherwise I fear we won't have much events in the next 2 months. One of the big problem which will also occur in the next few weeks are the possibility to travel as many flights are cancelled, many countries impose new restrictions (for instance from today on, no Italian citizen can enter in Austria ...), so at some point; it will complicate players to travel from one place to another and it will also depend on their citizenship to enter in some countries...

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
All seaso
Montecarlo is 30 km from Italy. In the next few weeks France will be locked down and its population quarantined, following Italy's suit.
I think the entire clay season will be cancelled, even if they will try to save FO.
All season will be cancel. now it's 94%... On that points old players need just retire now. I mean who is 36+

·
|
15,647 Posts
The Roland Garros organizers are talking very confidently about playing, so I think they should play Roland Garros THIS month-
French Tennis Federation (FFT) director general Jean-Francois Vilotte commented, "We are on a 13-hectare site which allows the flow of spectators to be organised very differently from football stadiums." Organizers said that some of the measures being considered include distribution of "gel and mask kits" and "cancellation of tickets for holders from affected areas" in order to "minimize the risk of contagion".

·
Registered
273 Posts
What FFT says is irrelevant. The choice is up to french government, if Macron can't contain the epidemic (and at the moment it seems he can't) FO will be cancelled.

"We are only at the beginning of this epidemic," Macron said after a surprise visit to the SAMU ambulance service at Necker hospital in Paris, while urging the public not to panic and saying the authorities were well organised to face the crisis.
France is the second-worst-affected country in Europe after Italy – which has effectively gone into lockdown to stop the spread of the virus – and Culture Minister Franck Riester and five MPs are among those who have tested positive.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
The Roland Garros organizers are talking very confidently about playing, so I think they should play Roland Garros HIS month-
From which planet are you coming from ? First you can't change the calendar like this. Second it is almost impossible to play outdoors in Paris in March on clay. Paris is not Andalusia.

·
|
15,647 Posts
The French government can ban crowds, but that won't stop the French Open, as you can obviously still play a sport without crowds....

·
Premium Member
10,630 Posts
Well considering it is half the prize money behind closed doors or nothing at all, I guess even if being greedy, players know what to choose.

In France so far, Buisiness orientated governement is very different from Italy, schools and Universities are still open and Sports Minister said she is prone to Events behind closed doors.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts