Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I guess it's a smart decision, because he has nothing to defend at IW and Miami, but don't get why he would play a dead rubber Sunday, and a Doubles exhibition on Monday.

·
Your visions will happen
48,645 Posts
Take time off the tour, man.

Come back when 100% healthy.

·
Registered
13,804 Posts
Monfils was diving all over the court in his match against Pospisil on the weekend. Yet another example of how putting on a show is more important to him than winning tournaments like this.

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Here's a story link:

SAN JOSE, Calif.—Top-seed Gael Monfils has withdrawn from the SAP Open because of right knee inflammation, even though he never played a meaningful match in San Jose.

The Frenchman said Wednesday night he also plans to withdraw from next week's ATP Tour stop in Memphis and take a brief break from tennis. He will have an MRI on both knees when he returns home.
Monfils had been scheduled to play qualifier Dimitar Kutrovsky in the second round Thursday.

Monfils teamed with Steve Johnson in a light-hearted exhibition doubles match loss against John McEnroe and Jack Sock on Monday. He also helped France defeat Canada in the first round of the Davis Cup on Sunday.

Monfils says he hopes to return for the Sony Ericsson Open beginning March 21 in Key Biscayne, Fla.
http://www.mercurynews.com/california/ci_19975842
If he hopes to return for Miami, then he is withdrawing from Indian Wells, too, yes? :confused:

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Rest up Gael.
If Raonic wins the title he can give some of his prize money to Gael. Two years in a row where his withdrawal gives Raonic a comically easy draw.

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
He certainly looked awful in his doubles match with Benny, so it's not surprising.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Matt Cronin's tweet
Monfils out of SJ & Memphis w/ right knee injury. WIll get MRI Unsure about IW/Miami, says Davis Cup more imp than Miami May need long reahb
That's a spirit.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Monfils you fool, why did you play in DC when already was decided by Tsonga´s victory over Dancevic... really i don´t understand this guy he is clowning on the court, off the court all th etime, injured all the time, why he is for example sliding all the time when he is so injury-prone if he would using his brain he could play more agressive - that means less deffense and that means less sliding for example, i think he can limited his injuries just by playing differently and using brain- not playing dead rubber in DC for example when i am not 100% healthy...

·
Premium Member
3,051 Posts
Monfils shows up what an imbecile he is, yet again.

If the man had a fully functional brain he'd be dangerous.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Blake Strode will replace him in the second round of San Jose. Very Lucky Loser (VLL).

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Monfils you fool, why did you play in DC when already was decided by Tsonga´s victory over Dancevic... really i don´t understand this guy he is clowning on the court, off the court all th etime, injured all the time, why he is for example sliding all the time when he is so injury-prone if he would using his brain he could play more agressive - that means less deffense and that means less sliding for example, i think he can limited his injuries just by playing differently and using brain- not playing dead rubber in DC for example when i am not 100% healthy...
He also played doubles with Benny this tourney and basically threw the match by shanking every volley that came his way. For someone not a 100%, playing singles and doubles is a little much.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts