Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Monfils:"[hate Tomas game] because he always beats me. But I love watching him play"

G. MONFILS/G. Dimitrov
6‑1, 6‑3

Q. After your match against Berdych in Miami, is this a new opportunity?
GAËL MONFILS: I must find the right tactics to neutralize his game because he gives me a lot of trouble. I'm never able to control him. I trust Yann for that. We played twice this year. We must find something, we must find a solution.
Although in Miami already I felt more at ease against him. I hope I'm going to play well tomorrow. It's been a long time that I haven't been feeling so good, and mentally I feel good, too.

Q. So what gives you trouble in his game?
GAËL MONFILS: Everything. It's very difficult for me to return his serve. He can read my serve very well. Also the pace of my shots seem too help him to find his own rhythm.
I didn't find anything yet that might make it more difficult for him.

Q. But you did beat him in the French Open.
GAËL MONFILS: That was the only time. And incredibly enough, there is not a single image of that match anywhere. I mean, I can't find any video from that match. I'm so surprised.

Q. Do you like Tomas' game?
GAËL MONFILS: Well, no, because I can't beat him. But I do love watching him play.

Q. Talking about that victory you had against Berdych, you have no memories of the match?
GAËL MONFILS: Well, precisely not. That's why I wanted to find a video.
I remember I was serving well. I remember when we were at Love‑40 in the fifth set, 3‑3 or 4‑4, and I was able to pull it out.

http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=108436

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Re: Monfils:"[hate Tomas game] because he always beats me. But I love watching him pl

Probably ATP has removed every video of that french open match, that is why he cant find any :D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Re: Monfils:"[hate Tomas game] because he always beats me. But I love watching him pl

Q. Do you like Tomas' game?
GAËL MONFILS: Well, no, because I can't beat him.
Clownfils mindset, NID.

But yeah, Fils is a Jazzman, he's no Bach. :shrug:

I'll remember him like I remember, say, Leconte. An entertainer. Not a champion.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts

He's the Kevin Anderson of semi-decent players.

·
Registered
474 Posts

....and after the match he said:

"Tomas is one of the players who gives me the most trouble," admitted Monfils. "I can't find, not even talking about a solution, but a way of playing that gives him trouble and that I can feel comfortable with. My game doesn't give him trouble at all. I am not even frustrated, because I knew it would happen beforehand. I hope I will find a solution someday."
....I don't like that mindset.:smash:

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts

....and after the match he said:

Quote:
"Tomas is one of the players who gives me the most trouble," admitted Monfils. "I can't find, not even talking about a solution, but a way of playing that gives him trouble and that I can feel comfortable with. My game doesn't give him trouble at all. I am not even frustrated, because I knew it would happen beforehand. I hope I will find a solution someday."

....I don't like that mindset.:smash:
Ouch. That mindset came across loud and clear during the match, too. I love Monfils, but man, you can't go into a match like that. If you really think you're gonna have a terribly difficult match, then at least go in with guns blazing and be super-offensive the whole time. Don't just lope along to defeat.

·
Registered
21,275 Posts

Gael's brain is a thing of wonder :worship:

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

So it´s easier to beat Federer rather then Berdych?

Oh Gael!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,477 Posts

it's all fair comments from Gael.

mindset is one thing, speaking to the press another. besides, he's honest.

wanna ask Ferrer about Nadal or Roddick about Federer?

It's extremely hard to turn a bad match up situation around. And it's the most gratifying feeling when you do. Better than winning a tournament.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts

French want to have GS winner. Simon was talking about it how important is players as Monfils to have a win against top players as Fed,Nadal or Djokovic so that can made them motivated to work hard on their game and to believe they can win big titles. Federer is doing exactly that on tour. Nadal is doing it now as well. The worse thing is no one of Berdych,Monfils,Tsonga has done anything good after that. They are just not enough good or motivated to play consistently. How Ferrer could beat Berdych but Monfils can not?! It could be more interesting if more players play at high level.

·
Registered
286 Posts

he loves watching berdych play?

not sure if monfils is trolling us or serious

·
Registered
7,904 Posts

he loves watching berdych play?

not sure if monfils is trolling us or serious
Watching him play against the best players in big matches can be painful, but generally he is good to watch, few players hit the ball cleaner than him.

·
Registered
12,123 Posts

Being French, I have a few more informations :

- he doesn't only love Berdych play, he's also always said that Berdych is his favourite player to watch

- Gilles Simon commented the match on French TV (first match I've ever heard him comment), and he did say indeed that Monfils was not confident at all before the match, Simon sounded very defeatist actually, he sounded as if Monfils hardly could do anything from very early in the match, he said that he "had to try something", trying to play harder for instance, but didn't sound confident at all

- comparing to Federer and Dimitrov, Simon said that what helped Monfils a lot against those players and which he didn't have against Berdych is that when he's in a bad position in the rally against Federer or Dimitrov, he knows he can play a high ball to their backhand and come back into the point, against Berdych he can't

- by hearing Simon talking yes you could indeed have the impression that Berdych clearly was a superior player to Federer :lol:

Personally watching the match I had the impression that Monfils should have tried to move Berdych more by varying directions and angles (he constantly brought the ball back to the same Berdych's position, especially in the backhand-to-backhand rally, no backhand down the line at all) but surprisingly Simon didn't say anything about it, maybe because Monfils is not comfortable with that game.

Actually Simon himself has a good record against Berdych and he's already said in the past that it's good to play low balls with not much pace against him, Monfils's shots seem to have exactly the right bounce for Berdych.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts

Yeah of course..! Tomas is such a fucking good player, and Roger is so fucking easy. Idiotic thought processes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts