Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
21,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fourth day at Croatia Open in Umag started with a short press conference with Gael Monfils.
He told press he didn’t feel very well in the last weeks but after he arrived here everything feels OK. He was asked about his absence in the Davis Cup tie and he replied that he talked with the team captain, and as Gael doesn’t feel comfortable on grass, they agreed to let others play: “It’s just not my surface”.
He said his favourite sport out of tennis is basketball and his favourite non-tennis athlete is Carmelo Anthony.

He had very kind words for the local young idol Borna Coric and said he will be surely one of the top players in the next years.

He was asked about his second round opponent, Mikhail Youzhny (as Misha did not have to play the first round against Trinker!) and he replied the usual stuff like, “great opponent, great matches with him in past, will be tough”, etc. By the way, a couple of hours later, Trinker beat Youzhny.

Last question was about his attitude about tennis. The Croatian press compared him to Ivanisevic as a sort of underachiever because of the mental issues. He said he will try to be more focused about tennis and he aims to attain top 5 status within two years.
http://tennisatlantic.com/2015/07/22/arrivederci-umag-tuesday-report-from-croatiaopenumag/

What could possibly go wrong :shrug:?

See also 'Baghdatis aims to reach the top 10 in 2018 or 2019'

·
Administrator
6,247 Posts
Clearly every player in their late 20s recognises the opportunity they will have to prey on the younger generation in the next few years, after the current top players fade away or become more inconsistent, and reap the best results of their careers.

·
Banned
6,801 Posts
He has fairly good technique, stamina and speed, but he's a clown. He can't work hard only for results, he needs show, that's why only TOP10 is possible.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Good, every professional player should have that goal. There's no need to assume it's not possible before even trying.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
I hope he doesn't. One of the few legitimate and immediate threats to No1e these days.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
I hope he doesn't. One of the few legitimate and immediate threats to No1e these days.
Monfils, Fish, Golubev... who else needs to be 'dealt with' so No1e's path to GOAThood is clear?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,342 Posts
Hmm I quite like Monfils but that target almost seems insurmountable given the field and Monfils struggling with other lower ranked opponents. He will need to work on stability and efficiency imo.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Monfils, Fish, Golubev... who else needs to be 'dealt with' so No1e's path to GOAThood is clear?
Fish and American players aren't immediate threats at all (except Isner), they just know how to push No1e's buttons and lower his confidence. He needs to gradually build his confidence in his offensive game so he doesn't meltdown at the USO playing 54 shot rallies with Nadal and Murray in the final and having to pull hail mary returns against Federer (2010 I give him huge credit against Federer, no luck whatsoever, he stepped up). I know other No1e fans and fake ones will act all prissy for me saying this but it's honestly all about the big picture and long run.

·
54,342 Posts
Fish and American players aren't immediate threats at all (except Isner), they just know how to push No1e's buttons and lower his confidence. He needs to gradually build his confidence in his offensive game so he doesn't meltdown at the USO playing 54 shot rallies with Nadal and Murray in the final and having to pull hail mary returns against Federer (2010 I give him huge credit against Federer, no luck whatsoever, he stepped up). I know other No1e fans and fake ones will act all prissy for me saying this but it's honestly all about the big picture and long run.
Not to mention Querrey beating him in Paris 2012 after eating a bagel first.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Sounds fair.

What other players aside from Golubev, Monfils and Isner do you see as immediate threats to No1e though?

Reactions: Todd Martin

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Not to mention Querrey beating him in Paris 2012 after eating a bagel first.
That beating definitely shook his hard court confidence. Thankfully, No1e has mentally improved a lot since then, but even as a huge No1e fan I have to admit it remains to be seen whether he will step up when it matters most.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
Sounds fair.

What other players aside from Golubev, Monfils and Isner do you see as immediate threats to No1e though?
Subtract Golubev from the equation and throw in your classic hard hitters (Wawa, Berd, Tsonga, Monf).

No way he is ever losing to his whipping boys Murray and Federer.

·
54,342 Posts
That beating definitely shook his hard court confidence. Thankfully, No1e has mentally improved a lot since then, but even as a huge No1e fan I have to admit it remains to be seen whether he will step up when it matters most.
He does have remarkable luck at times. We almost forget Anderson was on the verge of a huge upset at Wimbledon. At the end Anderson choked. Anyhow an on fire opponent with good offensive game will give him some trouble as long as they maintain consistency.

·
Registered
18,098 Posts
Subtract Golubev from the equation and throw in your classic hard hitters (Wawa, Berd, Tsonga, Monf).

No way he is ever losing to his whipping boys Murray and Federer.
I see. Another question: as the huge No1e fan you are, what are you thoughts on a ressurging Nadal, Nishikori and a del Potro comeback as threats to No1e?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts