Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Vamos Mandy :)
85,829 Posts
Well they FINALLY updated!

Chela won 64 16 61 and C.Rochus/Spadea has just begun.

Mardy and Andy lost doubles so the Andy haters can rejoice :p

·
85,829 Posts
Considering Damm/Suk are 8th in the ATP Doubles race and both Andy and Mardy have horrible doubles records (both with each other and other partners), that's dubious. They're singles players who play doubles for fun, or so it seems. Damm/Suk are obviously a real doubles team.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Damm! Fish/Roddick sukked. :)

/warding off all omens :dance:

Goooooooo Crochus!! Defeat the Darkness!!

·
85,829 Posts
Re: Re: Monday Schedule/Scores/Results

star said:
/warding off all omens :dance:
LOL *warding with you*

If anything I think it'll help Andy (and Mardy) - they haven't played much, especially competitively, so it was hopefully a nice warmup to the Madrid crowd/atmosphere so they'll be ready for their singles matches in the next couple days :)

And what's wrong with Spadea? I admit I don't know enough about him I guess but why is he "the Darkness"?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

bunk18bsb said:
They're singles players who play doubles for fun.
For fun? These two need all the help they can get playing overseas, especially Roddick who has completely and utterly SUKKED out of North America.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Vince Spadea is a worthy fellow. He was in the top twenty several years ago, and then went on a record setting tear of losing first round matches. He dropped to the challenger level and could not even win there. Slowly, slowly, he rebuilt his game and has clawed his way back into the upper echelons. He's very worthy of admiration and respect.

BUT-- Watching him play is PAINFUL!!! I once said that he sucks all of the joy out of tennis with a giant straw. He is glum on the tennis court. He has very rigid routines that he follows over and over. I realize that helps his tennis, but I go insane watching it. His service motion is buggy beyond belief. I could imitate it for you but you couldn't see it. It is unusual and sort of prissy too. He grunts to time his hitting of the ball, so if he forgets to grunt, he stops hitting the ball as well. I mean the grunting thing is such a thing now. (Believe it or not I sat through a whole Kuerten match where he didn't do his moan/groan thing once. He lost too. :( and the Croatian ladies behind me making wise cracks were the only thing that kept me going in that match.) Anyway, I could go on, but those are the main points. I'm sure Vince is a lovely fellow with his loved ones, but .......... please please find another career. please!!

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Monday Schedule/Scores/Results

Tennis Fool said:
For fun? These two need all the help they can get playing overseas, especially Roddick who has completely and utterly SUKKED out of North America.
Hey hey...... Andy hasn't bompletely and utterly sukked outside of NA.

I mean...... semis in Australia. Victory at St. Poelten. Victory at Queens. That's not complete and utter sukdom. It's marginal sukdom, doncha think? :)

Edited: :lol: love my typo in that first sentence.

·
85,829 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Monday Schedule/Scores/Results

Tennis Fool said:
What does that have to do with their doubles play? US Players have trouble overseas - this is not news.

I meant that Andy and Mardy seem to play doubles (with each other and other people) on a whim, not really planned, without practicing or whatever a whole lot. They just sort of enter tournaments sometimes. I'm sure it was good practice for them to play to get in tune with the Madrid atmosphere but they're clearly not on a comparable level with Damm/Suk who clearly play together all the time as a real full-time team. I'm a fan of both Andy and Mardy and I fully expected them to lose today. Hoping for a win, sure, because it would've been fun for them to play the Bryans, but not expecting it. Boy, you all sure do look for any ways to insult them you can find.

now, back to what this thread's supposed to be about (as opposed to attacking players)
Spadea took first set 6-4 and is up a break serving at 2-1 in the 2nd

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
And oh yeah. Vince once beat sweet little Ollie Rochus who was playing so very beautifully and with such heart. That didn't help him out with me either. ;)

·
85,829 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Monday Schedule/Scores/Results

star said:
Hey hey...... Andy hasn't bompletely and utterly sukked outside of NA.

I mean...... semis in Australia. Victory at St. Poelten. Victory at Queens. That's not complete and utter sukdom. It's marginal sukdom, doncha think? :)
LMAO Yeah exactly. Plus he admits it. It's a lot less fun to insult someone for something they already admit to.

And thanks for explaining about Spadea... I'm not sure if I've seen him play a match before lol. I'm sort of new to following tennis outside the Grand Slams *ashamed*

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Is ok. We'll break you in. :)

Just go out to a tennis tournament and spend a week there. You'll get SO hooked.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Oh ok. He just sucks in Europe. He needs not to in order to clinch the No. 1 position. That's what I mean about his needing the practice playing doubles there.

·
Blown Out On the Trail
62,739 Posts
Ok. I can go with sukking in Europe. :)

Yeah. Roddick needs all sorts of character developing play in Europe. But Damm/Suk are a tough duo to crack. No shame in losing to them.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
I got the Damm/Suk point the first time. I didn't expect Roddick/Fish to win--just to get more practice time on the court.

Star: Roddick *can't* suck in Europe if he's going to be top dog.

·
85,829 Posts
Yea, I'm breaking myself in :) I've always watched GS my whole life - grew up with all the US players at the prime time and all that, but I'm just discovering all the other awesome little tournaments there are (where play seems to often be much better!) so it's exciting :)

And I totally agree - Roddick's gotta crack Europe to be on top. Though, last year's fall season he did get to the QF of both Basel and TMS Paris so he may suck a little but his record for the 3 tournaments is nearly identical to Ferrero and Federer, to name a couple lol. He's young and determined, I think he'll work on it - and I think the Europe thing is partially mental and hopefully BG can help in that dept. :)

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts

bunk18bsb said:
Yea, I'm breaking myself in :) I've always watched GS my whole life - grew up with all the US players at the prime time and all that, but I'm just discovering all the other awesome little tournaments there are (where play seems to often be much better!) so it's exciting :)

And I totally agree - Roddick's gotta crack Europe to be on top. Though, last year's fall season he did get to the QF of both Basel and TMS Paris so he may suck a little but his record for the 3 tournaments is nearly identical to Ferrero and Federer, to name a couple lol. He's young and determined, I think he'll work on it - and I think the Europe thing is partially mental and hopefully BG can help in that dept. :)
Glad that you're watching more than the GS now. :)

Federer has quite a better indoor record last year than Roddick. They aren't nearly identical.

101 - 120 of 145 Posts