Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATP statement, quote from the NY Times:

“Mohamed is a world-class and highly respected official, however his actions during the match crossed a line that compromised his own impartiality as a chair umpire,” Gayle David Bradshaw, the ATP’s executive vice president for rules and competition, said in the statement. “Although well-intended, his actions were regrettable and cannot go without disciplinary action on our own Tour. We know that he will learn from this experience and we look forward to welcoming him back in October.”

Nice of them to allow Mo back in time for the Stockholm Open. I hope he learns from his mistake.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Nice of them to allow Mo back in time for the Stockholm Open. I hope he learns from his mistake.
Nice of them to give Mo time to reconsider his future: world-class official or GOAT coach.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Right decision from ATP, imo.
Although Kyrgios didn't ask for anything, I wonder how he feels about it now?
Pretty much nothing I guess.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Okay, now when will Serena be suspended for 6-12 months for her crossing the line portrayal of a monstrous beast at US Open to respected umpire Carlos Ramos?

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Pretty much a slap on the wrist. I guess, after Serena-Ramos incident, the governing bodies were forced to provide at least thr appearance of consistency.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

·
Registered
13,864 Posts
He's a huge attention whore tbh. I have always thought he's way too much in your face with his announcing for an umpire. Go and become a journo and give opinions if you want to be in the spotlight that much.

Referees, generally, should be neutral even if they have some sort of internal bias.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The most amazing thing I heard from a commentator, was that is sexism that the umpire in the Kyrgios match went got down and talked to the player, and the umpire in the Serena Williams match did not do the same for a woman.

The reality is the response to the Lahyani behaviour ensured the no player, man or woman, was going to get that same treatment during the tournament. It is part of why the umpire in the Serena match took the rigid stance he took.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
He's a huge attention whore tbh. I have always thought he's way too much in your face with his announcing for an umpire. Go and become a journo and give opinions if you want to be in the spotlight that much.

Referees, generally, should be neutral even if they have some sort of internal bias.
This pretty much, I don't see why a lot of people seem to adore him. I can see why some find him charming to some extent, but he's kind of 'overdoing' his job - he seems to very much enjoy being in the spotlight which is not your job as an umpire at all. Don't hate him or anything but he definitely doesn't get bonus points from me.

That being said, this punishment seems fair.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Tennis Umpires Salaries 2018 Per Match Fees (Revealed)

I think Nick should do it but ofc that would be against the rules:smile2:
That's a monetary loss (or fine) of £6,538 GBPs/$8,612 USDs (170,000 GBP * 2/52) plus suspension.

Pretty much a slap on the wrist. I guess, after Serena-Ramos incident, the governing bodies were forced to provide at least thr appearance of consistency.
While Serena was fined $17,000, for calling the umpire a "liar" and "thief" for doing his job.

Who's punishment was more harsh and severe?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts