Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rafa winning his 9th French Open yesterday reminded me of one of Federer's records which is very rarely mentioned: He holds the record for being (sole or joint) title leader at the most different events on the tour:

Qatar - 3
Australian Open - 4
Dubai - 6
Indian Wells - 4
Hamburg - 4
Halle - 7
Wimbledon - 7
Cincinnati - 6
US Open - 5
Thailand - 2
Basel - 5
YEC - 6

12 separate tournaments where he is the leader or co-leader in most titles won.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Yep, simply the best.

Holding most titles in pretty much every surface, hard, grass, clay, indoor.

Amazing.

·
Banned
2,838 Posts
Djokovic will surpass him in Dubai and Indian Wells. He is the best tour vulture

·
Registered
10,407 Posts
Fantastic record, especially considering that more than half of these tournaments are slams and Masters events (all four of his Hamburg titles came before it was demoted to 500).

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fantastic record, especially considering that more than half of these tournaments are slams and Masters events (all four of his Hamburg titles came before it was demoted to 500).
On the flip side you could argue that Hamburg being downgraded has protected that record from Nadal. Sure he would have won at least three more if it had still been a 1000.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the flip side you could argue that Hamburg being downgraded has protected that record from Nadal. Sure he would have won at least three more if it had still been a 1000.
It is likely that Federer would have won more titles too, though. Nadal has always done better at Monte Carlo and Rome than the third clay MS (Hamburg / Madrid).

·
Registered
876 Posts
Yes it's an important record showing top level consistency on all surfaces over many years. All hail!

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
Now that is what being the GOAT is all about. Consistency across all surface and consistency across all times of the year.

Not just vulturing on one surface or at a few particular times of the year.

·
Registered
904 Posts
What a Legend, truly the GOAT:bowdown:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Absolute legend.

This is completely biased and irrelevant to anyone but me, but it was Federer who got me interested in not only watching tennis but playing the game for myself. He will always be the GOAT to me no matter what.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Rafa winning his 9th French Open yesterday reminded me of one of Federer's records which is very rarely mentioned: He holds the record for being (sole or joint) title leader at the most different events on the tour:

Qatar - 3
Australian Open - 4
Dubai - 6
Indian Wells - 4
Hamburg - 4
Halle - 6
Wimbledon - 7
Cincinnati - 5
US Open - 5
Thailand - 2
Basel - 5
YEC - 6

12 separate tournaments where he is the leader or co-leader in most titles won. :bowdown:
nice:)

·
Registered
21,275 Posts
Some of these will probably be never broken.

Awesome stuff.

·
Registered
9,517 Posts
Absolute legend.

This is completely biased and irrelevant to anyone but me, but it was Federer who got me interested in not only watching tennis but playing the game for myself. He will always be the GOAT to me no matter what.

Not just that but how many great matches he played everywhere and people still remember them! Rafa has 10 FO but could you say which of his matches there were great ?! Our comms said yesterday after the final that the best match of this FO was
Fed/Gulbis with high quality tennis /there was everything in this match/ and a lot of drama in Women final.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts