Mens Tennis Forums banner

3141 - 3160 of 3165 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,661 Posts
What a brutal first two rounds. Things on paper at least get better - he should beat Herbert, and I wouldn't be too concerned about Zverev. If he can get past Zverev, SF is more than on the table.

Of course all this is depending on how the body holds up. But mentally I was impressed with his play in the big moments against Stan, on top of the top form he showed against Krygios. Promising stuff.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
I think healthy Milos is a better player than all of his potential opponents until the SF (at least considering slam Zverev), but I'm hesitant to believe he will still be by next week (if he isn't already hurt).

·
Premium Member
73,573 Posts
Milos has defeated Kyrgios, Wawrinka, Herbert, Zverev, and next will face Lucas Pouille. This is the best I have seen Milos play in some time.

·
Administrator
14,817 Posts
Raonic has pulled out of Del Ray Beach. This makes sense really as he's scheduled to be in Dubai the next week. I think it was poor planning to start with as he would have had to do Rotterdam -> Del Ray -> Dubai -> Miami. That's too many trips across the Atlantic.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
He was never going to play one of those, but interesting that he chose Dubai over Delray Beach (which has been a stop of his the past few years). He's never played Dubai before, so that's new.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Raonic d. Kecmanovic 6-3, 6-4. Milos only scored 13 points in 9 return games, but eight of those were in two return games. Efficient, but he didn't look great today. Monfils or Thiem is next.

·
Registered
611 Posts
7-6 Thiem. Raonic only won three points on return of serve. Winner plays Federer.
Second set 7-6 (7-3) Raonic. Still no break points for Milos, and one of his minibreaks was because of a let cord.
Third set more of the same, though he did finally earn a break point. On the plus side, he served well and had a good tournament.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Hmm. Looks like Milos hasn't signed up for any tournaments in the first 3 weeks of clay, not even Monte Carlo. Wondering if he is planning on skipping the whole clay season or just doing a significantly reduced clay schedule (say Milan, Rome, RG). Anyone know?

Not entirely surprised. Given how easily he gets injured, I think it is obvious he is doing whatever it takes to lengthen / maximize his career.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Hmm. Looks like Milos hasn't signed up for any tournaments in the first 3 weeks of clay, not even Monte Carlo. Wondering if he is planning on skipping the whole clay season or just doing a significantly reduced clay schedule (say Milan, Rome, RG). Anyone know?

Not entirely surprised. Given how easily he gets injured, I think it is obvious he is doing whatever it takes to lengthen / maximize his career.
He previously said this year that he was having knee issues and hoped to avoid surgery (and that transitioning to clay back in February would have been detrimental to that cause). If he plays clay at all this year, I would not be surprised at all if it was just Madrid, Rome (maybe just one of those two) and RG.

·
Registered
617 Posts
He is out of both Madrid and Rome..

I´ve started to accept the fact that we´re never gonna see the real Milos again after all his injuries, more so on clay. He was awesome on the surface back in his breakthrough season 2014.

Ironic thing is the fact that he´s been trying to avoid injuries by playing serve & volley with a shitty volley and a serve that has declined. Still, he gets injured. Its over, I´m afraid.

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Withdrew before the draw. Makes more sense than playing it IMO with Wimbledon right around the corner and no clay play at all beforehand. He's a threat to win any events on grass if healthy.

·
Registered
249 Posts
More injury woes for Milos, out of the USO with a 'glute injury.
Tom [email protected]16m
US OPEN: Milos Raonic pulls out of the 2019 US Open. He has a 'glute' injury that first occurred vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime at Rogers Cup in Montreal. It was getting better and he might have been played if he had a Tuesday start - but was scheduled Monday. Next event is Laver Cup.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
There is but one last move left for Milos Raonic to win a major. One last coaching selection to make the final revisions and refinement of his game. You may have heard of him. His name is Pete Sampras.

3141 - 3160 of 3165 Posts