Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Before playing in the 2014 Mutua Madrid Open, the Canadian player answered our questions in an interview in which he discussed his participation last year and the biggest achievements of his career.

At 23 years of age he has one of the best serves on the ATP Tour and bags of talent. Milos Raonic is destined to be one of the stars of tennis in the near future, and before another appearance at the Mutua Madrid Open, he answered some questions for Madrid-Open.com from Portugal, where he is playing in the Oeiras tournament. The Canadian took a look back at the highlights of his career so far and his elimination at the hands of Fernando Verdasco in last year’s Masters 1000 in Madrid.

Milos, last year you had an extraordinary game against Fernando Verdasco at the Mutua Madrid Open, what do you remember from the match?

I remember a very difficult match in which we were both very motivated to win. I feel we both play a good solid match. There are moments I wish I would have been more aggressive and tried to take control of the match. Fernando was the better player that day but I feel I was able to learn a lot from that match.

A few months later you reached the finals of the Montreal Masters 1000 and played Rafael Nadal. How special was it to play in the final of a tournament that is so dear to your country in front of a home crowd?

It was maybe the greatest moment so far in my young career. To play good tennis at home is difficult but always a great moment when you are able to. This was my first Masters 1000 final and for it to be at home was so special, as well it propelled me into the top 10 for the first time which was very important to me.

In 2013 you lead your country to the semi-finals of the Davis Cup for the first time in 100 years and got very close to making it to the final. What did it mean to you to lead Canada to success in a tournament like the Davis Cup?

We had the fortune of playing two ties at home and the semis away in Serbia. Those were the most enjoyable and fun ties I have participated in Davis cup. I was fortunate to be able to win 5 of my 6 singles matches in such a high pressure situation and to play well consistently throughout the year in Davis Cup. It gave me a lot of confidence for other tournaments I participated in.

One of the standout aspects of your game is your powerful and effective serve. Is it something innate or have you acquired it with a lot of training? How have you worked on it throughout your career to make it more effective?

Often I get this question. Yes I am fortunate to be tall and have a good shoulder to support my serve. But most of the credit belongs to the time and effort I put into my serve since I was 9 years old. It was common for me to just go to the court and serve for two hours working on my technique and accuracy.

You’re in the Top 10 of the ATP rankings. Did you dream of this when you first started playing tennis?

No, my dreams and goals have drastically changed throughout my progress over the last years. But I always wanted to be able to achieve this as a kid dream but that was not always reasonable.

What is the dream you would like to achieve during your tennis career?

Be the best player in the world!

·
Banned
6,795 Posts
All players should have this goal. But MTF will just call him stupid and delusional.

·
The Last Mohican
24,521 Posts
Good mentality to have, and at least Raodic didn't say he will be the best like Tomug or another clown said.

Raodic needs new dimensions to his game in order to threaten for #1.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
:haha: :haha: :haha:
The yugoslav is one of the biggest over achievers out there.
Still.
He's 24 this year. Hasn't been past 4R in a GS and I highly doubt he'll ever reach a SF in GS.
Set yourself some realistic goals, man.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
People in this thread failing to grasp the difference between a goal and a dream.

·
Registered
19,156 Posts
And a dream it will be

·
Registered
21,399 Posts

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Only MTF could have a problem with a player aspiring to be the best in the world. If you don't have this mentality, that's how you end up like Querrey.

·
Registered
11,133 Posts
nice to see using the word 'dream' unlike Razzano who said she 'knows' she could be No1

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
My dream is to be the most biased poster on MTF.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts