Mens Tennis Forums banner

Good or bad for tennis?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berdych (5th) with 4410 points, Raonic with 4375. Good or bad for the game?

Well, IMHO is bad. I can't remember of any "serve-oriented" player ever reaching the TOP 5.

Some will argue that his game is getting better. I concur, but still not nearly at top player level. Forehand is still very unstable, a lot of ugly mistakes still happening. Backhand is 2nd worst in top 30 (Lopez), volleys are marginal and return is still "home run or foul ball".

The record against the last of top 8:

Djokovic: 0-3
Nadal: 0-5
Federer: 0-5
Wawrinka: 0-3
Berdych: 2-1
Ferrer: 0-4
Dimitrov: 1-3
Total: 3-24

Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Berdych (5th) with 4410 points, Raonic with 4375. Good or bad for the game?

Well, IMHO is bad. I can't remember of any "serve-oriented" player ever reaching the TOP 5.

Some will argue that his game is getting better. I concur, but still not nearly at top player level. Forehand is still very unstable, a lot of ugly mistakes still happening. Backhand is 2nd worst in top 30 (Lopez), volleys are marginal and return is still "home run or foul ball".

The record against the last of top 8:

Djokovic: 0-3
Nadal: 0-5
Federer: 0-5
Wawrinka: 0-3
Berdych: 2-1
Ferrer: 0-4
Dimitrov: 1-3
Total: 3-24

Thoughts?
Lucky draws.

·
23,063 Posts
As I said during his SF run I think in Rome -- he is going to be in the Top 5/6 level consistently, kind of like a Berdych. It is up to him of course if he could level it up than just being a "gatekeeper" to the top guys (like Ferrer until recently), although not as worse as he has a bad record against the Top 10 rather than the Big Four in general.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Good for tennis to see young players in top 5.
he deserves that great performance against top players esp Djokovic Murray and Tsonga

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Pusher like Murray became World No 2 in Strong Era 2009. :lol:

Regardless of playing style new guys are always welcomed, he's leader of his Generation.

·
Registered
11,734 Posts
Obviously bad. He's a servebot, he just wins because he's so tall. If his serve goes, he goes.

Bad bad bad.

·
Bring it Home
20,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Raonic is 545 points away from the top 5.
Your calculations are wrong.
In the live rankings, but I was talking about the current official rankings, released today.

I know he probably won't enter the Top 5 this week due to his defending points, but could happen in near future, unless one of Dimitrov or Murray steps up. Let's face it, Berdych is a declining player, and he defends 540 points in Cincy/US Open, while Raonic defends 270.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Yeah calculations are fine. From updated rankings he is only 35 behind, and while I like Milos personally, I think as a whole it is bad. Without his serve he wouldn't be top 30.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
I don´t know why all the hate here for Milos... he plays agressive tennis, evey player who plays agressive, instead the moonballing pushing we are so used to see from some "top" player around here, shouldn´t get any hate

it is GOOD for tennis that he reaches top 5

1 - 20 of 65 Posts