Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milos Raonic has proclaimed the start of a new era in men's tennis after Andy Murray joined Rafael Nadal in suffering Wimbledon ignominy.

Defending champion Murray was dethroned by Grigor Dimitrov in straight sets, while Nadal was ousted a day earlier by teenage wildcard Nick Kyrgios.

Noval Djokovic and Roger Federer have made familiar progress but on the eve of his semi-final against the 32-year-old Swiss - a man with 17 grand slam titles to his name - Raonic says he believes the quartet's hegemony is on the wane.

"I think you see it more in people's play and people's attitude when they step out on court," the Canadian said. "It's a big difference to where probably a lot of guys were maybe a year ago.

"It's an even bigger difference to where guys were two, three, four, five years ago, where there was a very tight stranglehold on who was winning those big tournaments."

Raonic has unleashed a tournament-leading 147 aces in five matches to reach his first major semi-final and though his next opponent has never lost a last-four clash at the All England Club, he has pledged not to prize reputations.

"I'm going to step out there and I'm not playing the seven-time Wimbledon champion, I'm not playing the guy that's won whatever he's won, which I could probably list quite vividly," Raonic, who will leapfrog Murray in the world rankings on Monday, added.

"I'm playing a guy that is standing in my way of what I want to achieve, and I've got to focus on everything that's there, on the situation, how best to deal with it to give myself the best possibilities to achieve what I want.

"New guys have got to come up and they've got to step up. We've been doing better and better, especially throughout this year.

"It's good to be a part of it. It's nice to see that sort of human side to those four guys when you have to step up to face them, and to have a belief more so than ever that it's yours for the taking if you play well."

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
well at least it's good media got something else to grind than some imaginary big4 now when Murray has fallen and the rest are bound to decline

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
That's a good attitude. Besides, it's clear the change of guard is around the corner.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
That's a good attitude. Besides, it's clear the change of guard is around the corner.
Is it?Because I don't see Raonic,Dimitrov and the gang making serious progress yet.Yes they made Wimbledon SF but they are still worse players that Roger who is like 33.Not to mention Nadal,Djokovic and yes Murray even though he played at his pushing worst in the QF

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it?Because I don't see Raonic,Dimitrov and the gang making serious progress yet.Yes they made Wimbledon SF but they are still worse players that Roger who is like 33.Not to mention Nadal,Djokovic and yes Murray even though he played at his pushing worst in the QF
they said the same thing about the polish dude Jerzy, he reached the semi-final of Wimbledon 2013 and then nothing!! We'll see what happens but the new tennis stars don't look that exciting do they?

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
You never see anything, I can't help it. The trio is on the downaward spiral and it's just a question who and when will take it over and whether this or next season. You also convinently forget how much eaiser the road to QF is for top seeds.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
they said the same thing about the polish dude Jerzy, he reached the semi-final of Wimbledon 2013 and then nothing!! We'll see what happens but the new tennis stars don't look that exciting do they?
Neither Milos and Grigor are comparable to Jerzy at all. They've been consistent for several years now (especially Milos) and are clearly on the way up.

·
Registered
67,452 Posts
new era :haha:

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Even if their is a new era at the top of the game its not including him.

·
Registered
15,930 Posts
Bump.:p

·
Registered
13,564 Posts
New era derailed
Not really, just postponed IMO. There's no way Nadal/Fed/Djokovic/Murray will divide slams among them next year. Them winning this year is already due to failure of someone else to step it up, which won't go on indefinitely. The question is who will it be, but there's no doubt the time is ripe for someone new to snatch a slam or two.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts