Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Milos Raonic is such a nice young man, I read an article that recently he was in his hometown of Thornhill and noticed the tennis courts were cracked. Milos offered to pay $25,000 dollars to fix the courts. A city councillor proposed to name the courts after Milos. However, some other city councillors are upset at the idea. The councillors fear if they accept Milos gift and take the money and name the courts after him it will look tacky.

·
Administrator
14,817 Posts
Ah...Ontario municipal politics...what fun. If even without donating the $25,000 I would still say he deserves to have the court named after him. If they fell it's too early then fic the courts and then rename them when he retires, or something.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just $25K to fix the courts? Seems quite low. Regardless, the city can handle that in their budget. If Raonic wants to help, he should start by paying Canadian taxes.

Genie Bouchard is still a resident of Canada. I suspect she'll be making a lot more annual income (prize money and sponsorship) than Raonic will ever in his life. Raonic, and rest of his team, should learn a lesson from the 20 year old Bouchard.

·
Registered
13,380 Posts
Just $25K to fix the courts? Seems quite low. Regardless, the city can handle that in their budget. If Raonic wants to help, he should start by paying Canadian taxes.

Genie Bouchard is still a resident of Canada. I suspect she'll be making a lot more annual income (prize money and sponsorship) than Raonic will ever in his life. Raonic, and rest of his team, should learn a lesson from the 20 year old Bouchard.
I'm not sure this guy has ever made a post on this forum that didn't include a reference to taxes.

·
Registered
448 Posts
They should rename them even without him offering the money. What an incredibly stupid decision this is, and by putting it off they'll lose the entire season. I grew up on hard courts that had a crack so big on one court we could have planted tomatoes in it and we would have killed to have someone donate money to fix them.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hardcourts are so much better than the plastic grass they've been using in recent years.
It cost much less in maintenance but the ball doesn't bounce at all.

·
Administrator
14,817 Posts

You know that Bouchard AND her family moved to Florida right?

·
Administrator
14,817 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Update: they accepted it on council meeting of May 27 and will rename the tennis court https://www.vaughan.ca/council/minutes_agendas/AgendaItems/CW0513_14_17.pdf

source: council meeting city of Vaughan

It is therefore recommended:
1) that the donation from Milos Raonic and family be received into the appropriate Reserve and put towards the revitalization of the tennis courts at Hefhill Park; and
2) that the revitalization of the Hefhill Tennis Courts be brought forward to the 2015 budget process for consideration; and
3) that the tennis courts at Hefhill Park be renamed “The Milos Raonic Tennis Courts” in recognition of his generosity; and
4) that an appropriate opportunity be identified upon completion of the revitalization, where Milos Raonic is invited to officially recognize his generosity and the naming of the courts.
Attachments
None

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
That's nice. Shows Milos is not one of those DP Euro Trash vampires who take everything from the country, give nothing back, and still find the time to complain.

Way to go Milos!! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts