1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
That and they seem to fluff up immensely after a few games. It's probably going to create a situation where new balls is an even more appreciable difference than it usually is. I can imagine that being annoying to some players when the last 2 or 3 games of every ball rotation feels more sluggish to play with.

·
Registered
460 Posts
So they are going back to pre AO2017 conditions, slow and heavier balls that tend to get bigger after few games.
Djokovic and nadal will take the advantage of this.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
So they are going back to pre AO2017 conditions, slow and heavier balls that tend to get bigger after few games.
Djokovic and nadal will take the advantage of this.
Balls can't get bigger but only fluff up. True size can only go down once balls are out of the pressured can.

Heavier balls also favor the bashers so Novak won't profit from it.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
Balls can't get bigger but only fluff up. True size can only go down once balls are out of the pressured can.

If all this is accurate, it might negate surface conditions to once again benefit top-spinning grinders ala Nadal. Looks like tio Toni working overtime.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
If all this is accurate, it might negate surface conditions to once again benefit grinders ala Nadal. Looks like tio Toni working overtime.
I think this will favor guys like Basilashvili who hit with lot of power.

I'm not sure if fluffing of the ball decreases spin so much as Leng said (or if Dunlop balls fluff up extra at all), but if that's true it won't favor Rafa because most of his power goes into spin. Fluffing up also decreases weight of the ball, if anything.

All that's beside the fact the court will probably play fast and it's a question if Nadal's body will hold up entire tournament.

In my personal experience, Dunlop has great quality balls (which comes at the price), and they're little heavier than Babolat and Wilson. Of course, these AO balls might be different than their standard heavy duty ball.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I think this will favor guys like Basilashvili who hit with lot of power.

I'm not sure if fluffing of the ball decreases spin so much as Leng said (or if Dunlop balls fluff up extra at all), but if that's true it won't favor Rafa because most of his power goes into spin. Fluffing up also decreases weight of the ball, if anything.

All that's beside the fact the court will probably play fast and it's a question if Nadal's body will hold up entire tournament.

In my personal experience, Dunlop has great quality balls (which comes at the price), and they're little heavier than Babolat and Wilson. Of course, these AO balls might be different than their standard heavy duty ball.
Actually i meant moonballing grinders. How about power hitters like Warwinka or Kachanov if they're in form?

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Actually i meant moonballing grinders. How about power hitters like Warwinka or Kachanov if they're in form?
I don't think this AO conditions will favor Nadal. Might be good for players who take the initiative like Khach and Wawrinka. It's all speculation, we'll see.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Fluffy balls? Federer is lucky that Robredo isn't in the draw

·
Registered
460 Posts

there are going to be more rallies with these new balls, it will be like a fitness contest instead of a tennis match.
Better athletes like djokovic and nadal will benefit from it.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
there are going to be more rallies with these new balls, it will be like a fitness contest instead of a tennis match.
Better athletes like djokovic and nadal will benefit from it.
I don't think so. I follow Novak closely so I can tell you his over 9 shots stats are not so good as before while under 5 are going up.

As for Nadal, his fitness seems questionable, to say at least + his list of retirements and withdrawals from HC tournaments is staggering. I don't expect him to finish, let alone win the AO. He barely had any preparation for AO as well.

Also, Doha tournament was played with Dunlop's AO balls. IMO, Novak lost because he didn't play aggressive enough and could have lost to Basilashvili too. I think Melbourne courts will be faster than Doha. We'll see.

·
Registered
27,181 Posts
WTA always different balls which are faster in general. That's why the speed/power they get in this shots is comparable to male players but the RPMs is not even close.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I can't believe this thread has gone 18 posts without an obvious double entendre. What is MTF coming to? It you aren't careful, a reasoned discussion about professional tennis might occur.

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Dunlop ball that is going to be used this year at the AO is one of the lightest and hardest balls on tour, if not the lightest and hardest. This ball does not fluff up at all and is extremely quick! It's the exact same ball that was used at Roland Garros in 2011 which sped up the play significantly. So with the new surface in Melbourne since 2017 and now you add this Dunlop ball it's going to be the quickest playing court in the past 20 years on tour! This ball really favors the huge server and aggressive ball striker. If you try to play defense on this court with this ball then you are dead! Verdict= Dunlop balls are FAST!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts