Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WTH? :eek: Bryan was fined $10,000 in his opening round loss for something but only now people are hearing about it.

What did Mike do to warrant such a steep fine?

Serena's fine will help fix the crack on Armstrong. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Re: Mike Bryan fined $10,000 for "off court incident"; Serena fined $2,000 for tirade

My expert guess is that Bryan said something about umpire/line judge being biased/incompetent after the match or something about the organizers treating them unfairly. Such things always bring in the big fines.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
You have to think Mike must have done something horrendous to warrant a fine 5 times bigger than Serena's, who verbally abused the umpire in the middle of the championship match. Sadly though, it's just probably Serena getting a pass.

·
aeroDYNAMIC
1,093 Posts
i read that apparently mike put his hands on an official? take it with a grain of salt, of course, i haven't seen any official word/confirmation. :shrug:

·
Registered
753 Posts
i read that apparently mike put his hands on an official? take it with a grain of salt, of course, i haven't seen any official word/confirmation. :shrug:
That's really the only possible explanation. Had to be something really serious.

·
Registered
7,963 Posts
Need to do some digging because of the possibility of an appeal from mike, they won't release the details to what he exactly did.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Didn't they used to release the list of fines? I remember someone posting it a couple years ago...

·
Registered
475 Posts
According to Tennis.com, he touched an official off court. Holy crap.

Mike Bryan—who would have thought? One-half of the best doubles tandem ever was handed a $10,000 fine for touching an official off-court after the top-seeded Bryan brothers' first-round doubles loss, their earliest exit ever at the U.S. Open. Very strange, and the Daily Spinster will keep his ear to the ground on this one as more details emerge

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
how is the number 1 doubles player going to be able to afford such a 'big' fine. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
96,462 Posts
Unless he slapped/punched him this is a bit of a joke :lol:

·
Premium Member
20,674 Posts
Grigor Dimitrov was fined -- initially $2,000 but then raised to $10,000 -- and got a three-week suspension for shoving an umpire after a match at a Challenger last year.
http://shanktennis.com/2011/01/28/grigor-dimitrov-suspended-by-the-atp/

Dimitrov's penalty was from the ATP as it was at an ATP event (he was actually allowed to play at the Australian Open, though it would've happened during the suspension). This is USTA I guess, or ITF rules?? $10,000 is not so much :shrug:

·
Premium Member
25,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
http://www.insidetennis.com/2011/09/twin-peaking/

IT: I hear you were fined for an off-court incident after your loss in New York. What was that all about?

MB: I wish I could say. It’s under review, under appeal…Obviously, I’m a little shocked. We were signing autographs and we were walking off the court. It was a post-match verbal exchange with an umpire.

IT: It must have been something big. You got hit with a $10,000 fine and Serena Williams, for her outburst, was only hit with a $2,000 fine.

MB: It was a shocking amount. That’s why I appealed. I’ll let you know when I find out.

:shrug:

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
When I saw "touched," I thought, "sexually?"

·
Lurrrkin'
18,058 Posts
When I saw "touched," I thought, "sexually?"
Really. My initial impression was emotionally touched. Yeah I just realised I shouldn't have admitted that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts