Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He hasn't showed up for a few months(since the disapointing end of the AO?) at Kei's matches.

·
Banned
15,396 Posts

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
Is it the other way around in the title? :confused:

In any case I don't think there's anything going on. I thought I saw him not that long ago though, maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Kei firing Michael Chang does not surprise me. Kei reminds me of Halep when it comes to coaches. I wouldn't be surprised if he dumps his coach after sealing 4 straight grand slams ... but he can play, and that's all that matters.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very confusing.

anyway Kei didn't play very bad without Micheal's company.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Chang is not a full-time coach on the road with Nishikori. According to Nishikori's other coach, Dante Bottini, who's been coaching Nishikori since 2011, Chang is only on tour with them 15-20 weeks a year (another source). That doesn't mean Chang's not useful and important, but he's not there week-in-and-week-out (that's Bottini's job).

Chang was with them in Indian Wells and also Miami, I know.

Recently Chang's been doing charity events in Shanghai (and maybe Canada?), so it's obviously not one of the weeks where he's scheduled to be on tour with Nishikori's team.

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
Great time on the water with my fishing coach Michael Chang. Don't worry Kei Nishikori !
lol...

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
54,340 Posts
Great time on the water with my fishing coach Michael Chang. Don't worry Kei Nishikori !
That's funny! :lol:
As said Chang is not full time. And Nishikori is no Halep, unlike her, he really looks up to Michael Chang and is very privileged to have him ...Kei's been with Dante Bottini since 2010/2011 and fitness trainer hasn't changed. I feel he does ok without Michael. Michael is an added word and inspiration for him but Kei has enough confidence in his game not to have to look up at his box.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Who could blame Michael, though, after that demolition in Miami? It's only natural that he ditches that Japanese scrub and goes with much bigger potential in Young Big John, a future multiple slam winner in the making.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Seriously, though, what MWW said. Chang is only a part-time coach for Nishikori. A sort of a motivational speaker with some tactical input for him. He could've been full-time, but didn't want to be away from his kids for too long. He actually travels with his family when he is on tour with Kei, which is part of the coaching deal that Kei agreed with him on. His main man has been Dante Bottini for many years.

·
Registered
11,134 Posts

·
Registered
24,311 Posts
That's funny! :lol:
As said Chang is not full time. And Nishikori is no Halep, unlike her, he really looks up to Michael Chang and is very privileged to have him ...Kei's been with Dante Bottini since 2010/2011 and fitness trainer hasn't changed. I feel he does ok without Michael. Michael is an added word and inspiration for him but Kei has enough confidence in his game not to have to look up at his box.
Imagine if Kei had an Uncle ToniKagwa in his box to tell him where to serve on important points. He might have won that match against Cilic ;)

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

·
Registered
20,731 Posts
Guys like Chang, Edberg, Becker, Lendl aren't really coaches, they're more consultants that can provide a different perspective. All the players using them already have separate coaches for the more traditional duties.

·
~♥ Magnus Norman ♥~
3,328 Posts
Guys like Chang, Edberg, Becker, Lendl aren't really coaches, they're more consultants that can provide a different perspective. All the players using them already have separate coaches for the more traditional duties.
Yeah. Magnus Norman is the exception rather than the rule.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts