Registered
5,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
He needs to win Miami. Vamos Rafa :bounce:

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Re: Rafa beats Stepanek 6.2 6.2

It was a horrible match. From both players.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Re: Rafa beats Stepanek 6.2 6.2

Easy. Sexy was godawful though.

·
Premium Member
29,533 Posts
Re: Miami tour: Rafa beats Stepanek 6.2 6.2

You need to add tournament and round to the title.

And this was a terrible match.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts

You know you are a tennis fanatic when you sit through these kind of matches, kind of masochistic tendency really.

·
Registered
14,852 Posts

very bad match. rafa hit few great shots and that was it. hopefully plays better against kei.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts

IMO it was a bad match from Stepy, so many errors and giving Rafa the chances to hit winners.
But, I think Rafa played a good match, not great, but good.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts

Stepanek started brightly but couldn't keep up.

Nadal will go far here I think. Don't think he'll win though.

·
Anathemaniac
41,908 Posts
The level of play in this match went from 'mediocre-to-okay' at the first couple of games to absolute garbage towards the end. From BOTH.

Stepanek has no weapons to hurt any top player on this kind of surface, but that doesn't mean he should have started acting like a total clown once he ran out of steam - after a game or 4, 5.
And Rafa? Well there wasn't much he needed to do today, and apart from a few vintage passing banana shots (always a pleasure to see!), not impressive at all. Quite a lot of UEs as well. Will have to raise his level of play to win here, that's for sure.

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
Glad I turn it off after Nadal saved that break point.

·
Registered
12,897 Posts
Steps let Rafa get away with the bare minimum today, will need to improve a lot to get by Nishikori and Tsonga/Isner.

·
Banned
9,577 Posts
Ugh. I hate this Justin Gimeldouche. "Rafa is en fuego" :facepalm:

·
Faithful Txurigorri
24,903 Posts
Someone has to tell American commentators that the phrase "en fuego" makes absolutely NO sense in Spanish :rolleyes:

Rafa was ok during this match, made some really nice shots (although it is REALLY easy to pass Stepanek) but this isn't his best level, I hope he continues saving energy since he's competing in both singles and doubles.

Sexy has no weapons to hurt anyone in this surface and made some really clownish mistakes at times, but I attribute that mainly to the fact that he's nowhere the player Rafa is and besides he has no real weapons to hurt anyone (as much praise as his volleys get, most of those were atrocious, specially the drive ones which landed just in Rafa's comfort zone).

·
Registered
969 Posts

You need to add tournament and round to the title.

And this was a terrible match.
Goes without saying when you read Rafa on the OP.

On a less hater note, I always struggle to understand what is a bad match from Rafa. More often than not the quality of his matches depends on the opponent. One of the great qualities of Nadal is having a very reliable "standard" game. And you can bet your house on a Nadal's victory when the match boils down to who is playing less crappy. Except when the opponent is Nole ...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts