Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
21,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far in Miami the young generation is making a strong statement. The youngsters 21 and under are a combined 8-2 so far this week and already 3 of them have booked their place in the 3rd round. 5 more have yet to complete their 3rd round matches

I think its a nice story so far, how many more do you think can get to the 3rd round :?

Stebe v.s gasquet
tomic v.s ferrer
harrisson v.s federer
goffin v.s almagro
dimitrov v.s chela

·
Registered
22,644 Posts
I might be missing something but there is only 1 player 21 and under in the 3rd round right now and that's Milos. Are you including Dolgopolov and Nishikori? They're 23 and 22 respectivily

·
Registered
44,896 Posts
Seems a lot of them are losing to top players though.

With Goffin, Harrison and Tomic now out only Raonic and Dimitrov are left but then they're going to have to play Murray and Berdych respectively so it doesn't look like they're going to have much hope either.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I haven't seen any news articles about Raonic retiring. What is his injury?

If Dimitrov serves well, I think he will beat Berdych. From the clips I saw of his match against Chela, his groundstrokes looked very good and he raised his game when he was down a break in the 3rd set.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Raonic is still playing. Just pulled out of doubles as a precaution.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Not a single one will still be here past rd3, not really tournament of youth. Maybe if we go back 5 years or so when we had Djokovic at 19 winning, Murray at 19 in SF, Nadal at 20 in QF and Del Potro at only 18 in R16.

Even 3 years ago we had 2 21 year olds in Djokovic/Murray battling it out in the final and Del Potro as another semifinalists.

Those are years when the tournament was truly dominated by youth. This year we have 6 out of 32 players left over 30 year old, so that is a very good achievment from the oldies.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Yup, typical for Miami. At first glance you notice the youth but there sure are a lot of retirees around.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
One left. His chance to take

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
i knew Grigor could beat Berdych. Good to see he's still in this tournament. If he can gets some consistency to his game and start rising up the rankings, he a superstar waiting to happen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts