Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrible first set from Shapovalov. Then federer had a sloppy game in the second but got through, after that the Canadian‘s spirit was broken. He did what he could to keep the score close (could’ve been a 6:2 as well) but didn’t win more than one point in any of the following returngames

So federer finally reached a final of a masters legitimately without any walkovers or retirements. Are you happy now?

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Majestic performance by Roger. God this man needs to stay here forever !! Those volleys, slices, picks up, the bh worked fine today too
Just beautiful to watch

In the other hand, shapo was baad.. A lot of UEs
He was overwhelmed by the sotuation and specially by Roger's perfect game

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
After that match against Radu, I honestly didn't expect Roger would play so good and error free for rest of the tournament...I think he has like 35-40UEs on the whole in last 4 matches which is just so unusual for Roger...his defense has been really good & also has been dominating in rallies for most part. Major difference now when compared to 2nd half of last year for me is that the ROS isn't bad anymore...he is able to return decently.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So according to Fed's post-match interview he is a big fan of Isner. Federer likes watching the servebots :lol:

Shapovalov needs a better ROS. Federer's serve absolutely exposed him here.
Lol federer‘s serve wasn’t even that good. Only 2 aces bad percentage many into the body without angle

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Shapovalov a bit tense in the beginning, and Federer rushing him - taking his serves very early and exposing Denis' weaker backhand side. The first set was over in a flash.

Federer was determined today not to let it become a baseline duel, instead doing his best not to give Shapo any rhythm to get used to. This strategy worked very well. Federer played a very smart match.

In the rallies that did happen, however, Federer stood up fine and hit some nice winners himself. Roger looks fine off the ground and will fancy his chances in the final.

Shapovalov won't be happy he lost but like I said in the WWW thread: this turnout was kind of expected. Federer is a completely different class of player than the ones Shapo has faced so far here. Hope Denis will continue to build on this form.

Tough day to be canadian.

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
The occasion got to Shapovalov I feel at the start, it took him a few games to settle, very poor in the first set, it would've been a bagel if Federer was at his QF level. Shapovalov's level improved in the second, but broke himself with a few UEs and a Df continuing the pattern from earlier, good run for him at this tournament overall though, it won't be the last time he'll be in this position for sure, great future.

Federer into his 50th masters final and back to back finals at 37 years old, pretty incredible really. His level has been really high since the Albot match, back to his 2017 level imo, or very close to it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
So according to Fed's post-match interview he is a big fan of Isner. Federer likes watching the servebots :lol:

Shapovalov needs a better ROS. Federer's serve absolutely exposed him here.
Isner would have been celebrated a lot more before snowflake generation. I have a feeling His rise in form in recent times has probably offended tards of other players that can't handle the fact that they can't return his serve.

·
Super Moderator
7,348 Posts
Every time Denis would hit big, Slicer Neutralizerer made an appearance. :lol:

Overall beautiful performance by the Maestro. Back to back finals in America after what it looked like a patchy start of the season, can't complain.

·
Premium Member
8,283 Posts
Federer once again in top form. I have been so impressed with his level since the Albot match. I can't remember the last time he played 4 consecutive good matches. And now I just hope that he doesn't mess up the final again. It won't be easy but if he shows the level that he has shown in the last four matches, he should win. No more choking in finals please.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts