Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shapo on fire in 2nd and 3rd set >:)

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Great work, Shapovalov!
Hope he builds on this and makes a final/title run.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You can't get a much closer match.

Stef better in the first, Denis better in the second, and they were both untouchable in the third. Denis just took it out of Stef's hands in the TB with some amazing winners.

I mean you really can't get any closer, they each won 100 points this match.

·
Registered
217 Posts
great battle in the third. this is such a legendary matchup, with both of them playing ohbh. it's just because of the character that I prefer shapo. but you have to admire both of their games.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Wowww, I was discouraged in the first set but damn did this ever live up to the hype. The future of tennis is bright, folks.

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Both played very well. Shapovalov was just slightly better on the big points, as he's been throughout his career against Tsitsipas.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
2nd and 3rd set is why I think Shapo has more potential between the two. and why Zverev said in a recent interview that Shapo is the biggest threat of the NextGen. Great match. Shapo gets his first 3+ win streak since Tokyo. Will we finally get a Federer vs. Shapovalov match in the SF?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Tsitsipas has huge potential. His level in the first set was fantastic. Still, losing to two younger Canadians two tournaments in a row has got to be a tough pill to swallow. Winter (Canada) is coming!

·
The special one
14,030 Posts
The guy that went for his shots won, not a great first set, tsitsi was pretty much dominating the baseline rallies and Shapo couldn't get into any of Tsitsi's service games, very good level in the 2nd and 3rd sets though, some great FH winners, the one at 4-3 in the tb the pick of the bunch. Great attacking tennis towards the end, just needs to cut out some UEs, 40 in total today.

·
justice for all
13,130 Posts
Best match of the week, easily. Two great players with OHBH-s battling it out into 3rd set TB. This will be the most thrilling rivalry in the future. Get ready for many more including slam finals.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Best match of the week, easily. Two great players with OHBH-s battling it out into 3rd set TB. This will be the most thrilling rivalry in the future. Get ready for many more including slam finals.
I know earlier I joking suggested to take Tsitsipas name out of your signature but that would be a great mistake. He's going to win slams. Personally I believe Denis, Stefanos and Felix all will (and Thiem may win 3-4).

·
Registered
235 Posts
Denis up to #24 in the race now, will at least end Miami (which is about the 1/4 pole of the season) in 25th, if Anderson goes further than him here. My dream all-Canadian final is still on the cards lolol.

·
Registered
21,281 Posts
Good match

Shapo had to play some spectacular points there at the end to take it. Tsitsipas ROS was a bit weak as well

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Wowww, I was discouraged in the first set but damn did this ever live up to the hype. The future of tennis is bright, folks.
The future of tennis is red and white :nerd:

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That was quite the classic. It was honestly a shame someone had to lose, as they were both playing great tennis. Denis was a bit more variable as to his level, but when he was on there was very little his opponent could do, which was what decided the final tiebreak. Apart from the DF, it was almost a perfect tiebreak from Denis, and that was the match.

There was a period of about 4 games in a row on serve where Tsitsipas had a first serve percentage of 100% and hadn't dropped a single point, beginning at or just before the start of the third set. I'm still amazed that Shapo was able to weather that storm and not get down mentally, because Stefanos was absolutely untouchable for most of the third set. For playing so late into the morning, I'm still amazed that the match was as clean as it was from both players.

Next up for Denis is Tiafoe, which should be another good contest. Both young Canadians into the QFs here is a major accomplishment, and if they both happen to move on to the semis (a big if), then the possible M1000 final between them will be a very interesting storyline I think.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts