Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should have been 6-2, 6-2 but he got broken up 5-2 both times. but 2 straight set wins , i'll take them. tiafoe or ferrer next. its a great shot at a quarterfinal which would be huge for him this year.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Glad that Goffin prevailed, but I fear needing two breaks to successfully serve out each set doesn't bode well for his future prospects.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad that Goffin prevailed, but I fear needing two breaks to successfully serve out each set doesn't bode well for his future prospects.
i agree but at the same time when asked to serve it out the 2nd time he did so with no problems. at love for the first set and to 15 for the 2nd. the big thing is he didnt melt down and lose the double break lead..and lets be honest that was very possible.

he's still low on confidence and his serve still obviously isnt working great but with every win he'll build it back up..i hope.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
wouldn't come to any such conclusions after a HC win against Cecchinato who might not even be a top 100 player on HCs
Perhaps, but Goffin recently lost to Caruso (not the brightest hc expert either) at challenger level on hc so back to back wins at the highest level are very welcome for the Belgian.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Cecchinato getting R3 points for not even winning a set here. :lol:

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Nice to see Goffin back on the winning train again.
wouldn't come to any such conclusions after a HC win against Cecchinato who might not even be a top 100 player on HCs
I wouldnt go that far. He sucks on hardcourts, but for sure he is top 100 in hard courts this year. His loses this year on hardcourts has been to decent hardcourt players.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
David getting broken while serving a set out is (sadly) standard protocol, to the point that bookies caught on and now offer diminished odds for virtually any opponent breaking him in that situation...looking forward to R16 against Tiafoe, a QF here would indeed be awesome :) Go David!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
should have been 6-2, 6-2 but he got broken up 5-2 both times. but 2 straight set wins , i'll take them. tiafoe or ferrer next. its a great shot at a quarterfinal which would be huge for him this year.
Thanks for the summary, I could not watch it, started way too late because of the rain delay earlier on the day. Hopefully, there won't be a rain delay today so I can see his match against Tiafoe. David has a great opportunity here with this draw.
If he can beat Tiafoe, then it would be much better to play Shapovalov than Tsitsipas in the quarters. But one match at a time.

·
MONSOON season.
81,405 Posts
Perhaps, but Goffin recently lost to Caruso (not the brightest hc expert either) at challenger level on hc so back to back wins at the highest level are very welcome for the Belgian.
Are you assuming that Caruso can't play on HC just because he's Italian? Because he's actually pretty good on the surface.

If your point is merely that Caruso is not a top player, then obviously you are right. Cecchinato is the better player of the two and would probably beat Caruso handily on clay, but on HC I reckon it'd be quite close.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Are you assuming that Caruso can't play on HC just because he's Italian? Because he's actually pretty good on the surface.
I don't care about someone's passport. I care about a player's performance and Caruso's best results (i.e. winning titles) are an all-clay affair next to one hc future doubles title. Of course that doesn't mean he can't play on hc, but let's be realistic.

·
MONSOON season.
81,405 Posts
I don't care about someone's passport. I care about a player's performance and Caruso's best results (i.e. winning titles) are an all-clay affair next to one hc future doubles title. Of course that doesn't mean he can't play on hc, but let's be realistic.
Yet, the only Slam he ever qualified for was on hard. He played more on clay than on hardcourt, but that doesn't mean he is better on clay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts