Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First was straightforward for Denis, Rublev was playing poorly and Shapo had a look in most return games, with only the one break being needed.

Second set much more complicated. Denis had triple breakpoint at 3-3, had a true sitter of a forehand at 30-40 and dumped it into the net. Rublev proceeds to hold and then breaks Denis at 3*-4. With Rublev serving up 5-3, Shapo fights back for the break to get back on serve. At 5-All, Shapo gets triple breakpoint again and AGAIN cannot convert.

In the tiebreak, Shapo hits a couple of monster FH winners to get up a mini-break immediately but gave it back for 2-1. Shapo gets the mini-break right back with some big hitting and keeps it up for 4*-1, before making a UE for 4-2. Shapo loses his double mini-break lead and soon Rublev gets it back to 4-All. Then amazing court coverage from Shapo and Rubliev does not come into the net and Denis somehow goes up a mini-break again and then outduels Rublev for double matchpoint. Rublev once again comes back from mini-break down when Denis nets another easy forehand and I'm losing my mind here. Matchpoint #2 and FINALLY Denis does it!!

Pheww! Ok let's go Tsitsipas because I want that Greek phony to get his ass handed to him by a Canadian teenager two tournaments in a row :grin2:

·
Registered
900 Posts
In the tiebreak, Shapo hits a couple of monster FH winners to get up a mini-break immediately but gave it back for 2-1. Shapo gets the mini-break right back with some big hitting and keeps it up for 4*-1, before making a UE for 4-2. Shapo loses his double mini-break lead and soon Rublev gets it back to 4-All. Then amazing court coverage from Shapo and Rubliev does not come into the net and Denis somehow goes up a mini-break again and then outduels Rublev for double matchpoint. Rublev once again comes back from mini-break down when Denis nets another easy forehand and I'm losing my mind here. Matchpoint #2 and FINALLY Denis does it!!
only saw the second set and it was great fun, but Rublev really helped Denis by avoiding going to the net, not only in the point you mentioned but in a lot of other points as well. He really needs to improve that and he will hopefully do that in the coming years

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I only caught the second part of the 2nd set
And i think that it was a good match!
There was a lot of great ballbashing exchages and that point won by Shapo at 4-4 in the TB was amazing !
I think he has to improve his serve. Oh and 2/12 in BPs :eek:

Shapo-Tsiti so close :bounce:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It was a bit of a slugfest that's for sure. To be blunt, Rublev is a bit of a ball basher. Denis did great to keep him at bay. But, a few more UE than necessary from the menace. Still, once again he's in R16. Would love to see him beat Tsitsipas, but maybe Mayer will do it for him? LOL

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Rublev must be the most one dimensional player among the current youngsters....dude rarely comes to the net, doesn't have a solid backhand, doesn't have a huge serve to make up for these..he isn't going anywhere with his current game

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Watched from the second set, this was a great NextGen battle :thumbsup: The game plan for Rublev was obvious: pummel the FH into Shapo's BH. The latter held up well here, contributing to some excellent baseline exchanges.

Shapovalov's serve was great today - he only gave up one BP in the match but lost it, which gave Rublev the chance to serve for the second set at 5-3. Unsurprisingly for me, he failed to do so and the Canadian took the match in the tiebreak that followed.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Shapo's serve seems to be much more stable now than 2018 when it was really inconsistent. Stats also seem to be matching eye test.

His Ace/DF ratio on Hard Courts-
2017 - 2.04
2018 - 1.28
2019 - 2.26

That 2018 number is really bad. Not sure why there was such a huge drop in 2018 (did he change any serve motion?) but now it seems to be back on track. Also looks slightly better than 2017.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Ps. Great exchange at the net :hug: :)

·
Registered
13,452 Posts
Well that should have been loads easier than it was, but at least he pulled it out. I like him to win in the Tsitsipas matchup as well.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Shapo's serve seems to be much more stable now than 2018 when it was really inconsistent. Stats also seem to be matching eye test.

2017 - 2.04
2018 - 1.28
2019 - 2.26

That 2018 number is really bad. Not sure why there was such a huge drop in 2018 (did he change any serve motion?) but now it seems to be back on track. Also looks slightly better than 2017.
He did change his service motion part way through last year and it was really inconsistent at first. It was around the time he parted way with Martin Laurendeau from Tennis Canada and his mom was taking on the coaching duties. Now it's probably a better weapon than ever. Even with his inconsistent serve last year and his 2017 Canada points dropping off his total he was able to stay around the #25 range last year at 19 so I think he's on the right track for sure.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
That was a nerve-wracking match. Some good baseline play from both, strong defence, but Rublev needs to use more tactics, because he definitely had opportunities to take this one the distance in the second set and perhaps steal the win away in the third. However, overall Denis was the better player. The combined UE count was likely reasonable, but this felt like an extremely clean match to me, just from the number of long rallies and deep line-painting shots. Very close and fun to watch, if you enjoy stress I guess.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts

2017 - 2.04
2018 - 1.28
2019 - 2.26

He did, and there was a lot of debate about it on here. Shapo struggled a lot with the change at first but it's paying dividends now.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Great match.
Some of the points were pure fireworks.
Shap not too bothered by Rublev's power, he could match it, and he played very smart.
Interesting how with another highly aggressive hard hitting opponent (a ball basher, yes, it can be said of Rub) Denis took the more patient role.
I am really liking Denis's game at the moment. I feel it's gone to the next level, all those UFEs seem to be in the past.

What a time for Canadian tennis!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Watched from the second set, this was a great NextGen battle :thumbsup: The game plan for Rublev was obvious: pummel the FH into Shapo's BH. The latter held up well here, contributing to some excellent baseline exchanges.

Shapovalov's serve was great today - he only gave up one BP in the match but lost it, which gave Rublev the chance to serve for the second set at 5-3. Unsurprisingly for me, he failed to do so and the Canadian took the match in the tiebreak that followed.
Because Shapo's forehand is so good and because he has a fairly long take back on his backhand, a common strategy against him is "hit big to his backhand" but I think he's used to it and his backhand has improved quite a bit. He could always hit winners with it but I think he can defend to that side better than he used to and doesn't spray it as much. Overall, Denis is constructing points better but he still sometimes makes cheap errors that lets his opponents off the hook so like today he won, but not as efficiently as he could've. Still, he is improving and it's encouraging. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Afterthought: I think we are finally seeing the dividends of Shap's coaching change from Laurendreau to Steckley.
Just a guess of course, but something has changed.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great match.
Shap not too bothered by Rublev's power, he could match it, and he played very smart.
Interesting how with another highly aggressive hard hitting opponent (a ball basher, yes, it can be said of Rub) Denis took the more patient role.
I am really liking Denis's game at the moment. I feel it's gone to the next level, all those UFEs seem to be in the past.

I agree. He still is making some UEs and sometimes at unfortunate times, but definitely much less than he used to. And, like you said, he was the more patient one. I see him actually constructing points now and I like him using more topspin on his Forehand to give him more margins and pick his spot to pull the trigger and flatten it out.

·
Registered
5,560 Posts
Because Shapo's forehand is so good and because he has a fairly long take back on his backhand, a common strategy against him is "hit big to his backhand" but I think he's used to it and his backhand has improved quite a bit. He could always hit winners with it but I think he can defend to that side better than he used to and doesn't spray it as much. Overall, Denis is constructing points better but he still sometimes makes cheap errors that lets his opponents off the hook so like today he won, but not as efficiently as he could've. Still, he is improving and it's encouraging. :thumbsup:
You hit the nail on the head there with that analysis, thanks for better articulating what I was hinting at :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Great match.

Great analysis. Yes, he's playing much smarter and more patient tennis. Impressive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts