Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Denis will have to play very well to defeat Evans, even though the latter is ranked much lower. Evans has defeated Denis each time they've met although that was before the big breakthrough in 2017. What do people think of this one? I say Denis in 3.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I feel like the slice will frustrate Shapo and the slow court won’t help. Evans in 2, maybe 3.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Evans has the game to be a nightmare match up for Shapo but you'd have to take on trust his fitness, Evo has looked gassed lately.

·
The special one
14,022 Posts
This is Dan's 19th match in a 4 and a half week period, so he's bound to be feeling some fatigue, that said his slice could drive Shapovalov crazy and he could turn into an UE machine like we've seen from him many times before. Difficult one to predict but I'll go with Dan in a tight 3 set match.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything I've read has said Evans is the favourite here. Strange since Denis should be.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Watching Denis retain himself from pulling the trigger on the low slices by Evans was fun to watch lol. He came out flying in the first few games but started making unforced errors and lost the first set as a result. This would've been a straight sets loss if he didn't make the necessary adjustments in the 2nd...good to see him improving his mental game.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Good match between two of the more talented tennis players on the circuit.

Agree Shapo matured as game went on. Third set was actually pretty tight, Dan had two BPs at 3-2 down but shapovalov saved both with some excellent volleying at the net so that's another aspect that seems to be improving.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good match between two of the more talented tennis players on the circuit.

Agree Shapo matured as game went on. Third set was actually pretty tight, Dan had two BPs at 3-2 down but shapovalov saved both with some excellent volleying at the net so that's another aspect that seems to be improving.
Yes, I really agree w/ this. The next step would be to accomplish this more consistently, but he's definitely learning. I think Rob Steckley is doing the right things w/ Denis. At only 19 he's really moving forward in the right direction. If he can win one more match he will equal his points from last year. Maybe Rublev can frustrate Cilic, because I think he would be an easier opponent for Denis.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where are you reading?
I have never found any kind of consistently accurate predictions of tennis outcomes anywhere.
Well these are just from the tennis sites that give predictions. They all predicted Denis would lose which shows just how good they are and how foolish I was to read them. And post. Denis was solid today.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts