Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Every once in a while, Lajovic plays up to his abilities.. this is one of those times.

Wish he would find some stability

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts
Kei just can't play on outdoor hard anymore it seems.

US Open and the Brisbane title maybe an exception but this was pretty poor from him, loads of errors in set 2 and 3 especially off FH. You can almost see it coming. I understand why Kei's team had his abbreviate his FH swing to preserve his wrist but longterm he can't get stability or confidence in the FH especially when pressed near the baseline. Before he had much better control.
Also mentally just caving badly and beyond recovery. Lajovic was solid but Kei helped him out with casual sloppiness.

I guess I can only hope clay suits him better, remembering how he played in Monte Carlo.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
These days Nishikori plays a great highlight reel worthy point and then checks out for several games. I think he made more UE's off his FH alone than the total number of winners, including a couple aces. Not that his BH was particularly clean. Also a DF to give away a break in the decider signifies a very disturbing pattern. Maybe he needs to work with a psychologist. On top of everything his negative body language straight out instills confidence in his opponents. Lajovic is not some mental giant who never flinches, but he sure looked like one in comparison. Good win for him. He regrouped after a rough start and never let go.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Kei hasn't looked good since taking MTO vs Paire before match even started. I think it has something to do with, he didn't look this bad even in 2018.

·
Registered
21,230 Posts
Nishikori is almost 30. He's past his best which was never enough to win one of these, anyway. What do people expect of the guy?

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Nishikori is almost 30. He's past his best which was never enough to win one of these, anyway. What do people expect of the guy?
Yeah, um, did you miss him stringing these results together?

USO SF
Tokyo F
Vienna F
Paris QF
Brisbane W
AO QF
Rotterdam SF

?

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
52,613 Posts

USO SF
Tokyo F
Vienna F
Paris QF
Brisbane W
AO QF
Rotterdam SF

?
Maybe he's a little burnt out from his comeback effort. That's a lot of work and I never thought he would return to the top 8. But even then it is striking his best results were largely during the indoors hard court season.

Otherwise he lost early on outdoor hard masters and struggles in his matches so I do feel like his outdoor HC game has declined substantially.

He's playing Monte Carlo which was good to him last season, hopefully we see him pick up on the dirt.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I honestly believe that Kei's endorsement $$$$$$$ makes him be less motivated for actual on court tennis. If he weren't so wealthy off the court, maybe he'd try or train harder? Or improve more?

But when you are the 2nd biggest endorser in the game (due to the Asian market), where is the motivation to better yourself? I wouldn't be surprised if Kei retires early depending on if his endorsements force him to continue to play

·
Registered
12,644 Posts
Kei is still a young man.

I also think that his injuries are mental. It's happened so many times. Sure, he has some great wins but still ... Many of us have expected more because he is capable. Every time you watch him you wonder if he is OK or not.

Complete mess. I don't know. You'd expect a Japanese guy to fight for his life.

Blah, old story. I just watched the match. It was recorded. Pathetic performance.

Lajovic was good. Kudos to him.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I honestly believe that Kei's endorsement $$$$$$$ makes him be less motivated for actual on court tennis. If he weren't so wealthy off the court, maybe he'd try or train harder? Or improve more?

But when you are the 2nd biggest endorser in the game (due to the Asian market), where is the motivation to better yourself? I wouldn't be surprised if Kei retires early depending on if his endorsements force him to continue to play
This could partly b the case but not the whole story. As u can see in the examples of 'Asian' competitors like H. Chung, they reach peaks for very brief interims only to be diverted by nagging injuries that make it difficult to attain consistency levels of non-Asian field. Though talent can take u to a certain plateau, genetics still plays a major role when breaking down fitness/stamina levels & only player to somewhat break this barrier for 'Asians' was Chang who was actually Asian American.

·
Registered
8,238 Posts

I kind of know what you mean, but that’s the mental outlook of a loser and an excuse IMO. Don’t see Federer or Nadal any less motivated just because they are rolling in cash, just like other sports being one of the highest earners doesn’t excuse lack of motivation.

A real shame for Kei, having watched him recently he’s really struggling making countless unforced errors, he looks restricted to me... hopefully not an ongoing injury

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Nishikoris FH is so trash recently. When I saw him in Brisbane I thought it looked much better than in any match I watched from him in 2018, but since then it has just been an awful shot.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Nishikoris FH is so trash recently. When I saw him in Brisbane I thought it looked much better than in any match I watched from him in 2018, but since then it has just been an awful shot.
I thought he'd really turned it around after Brisbane but his FH is back to comeback trail 2018 levels. Utter trash shot, spraying errors everywhere.

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Whenever I have watched Kei this year, he has looked awful. Well below his usual high level. Is he not fully fit or something?

·
Registered
21,230 Posts

USO SF
Tokyo F
Vienna F
Paris QF
Brisbane W
AO QF
Rotterdam SF

?
Exactly.

What's your point?

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
Exactly.

What's your point?
Your point being that should not be surprised?

Then I show you a great run of form?

:cuckoo:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts