Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
What a great result for tennis and humanity. Wawrinka attempted his usual despicable tactics, including trying to hit Krajinovic in the head at the net when he had a whole open court to hit into, but it wasn't enough, and Filip came back from 5-2 down in the TB to win it all.

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Happy for Filip. Well deserved. He won 15 more points than Wawrinka. And if you deduct the aces, he actually has just 1 less winner than Wawrinka, but a lot less UEs. Wawrinka had *5-2 in the tiebreak too :lol:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Game-wise Stan is pretty much allright, but clutchness-wise he has fallen off a cliff after his injury break.

·
justice for all
13,148 Posts
Depressing stuff.

Stan is injured and at the end he lost on purpose to avoid another meeting with Fed - maybe it's better this way.

NID fakertards bashing Stan. Hate is strong there.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
What a match, every time I watch Filip he's impressive and I keep figuring why he's ranked so low but then he went down 5-2 in the tie-break and it reminded me, oh that's why he's a mental problem...and then he wins...I was speechless!

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
I really wonder if Stan will ever come back one day in the top 10. The double sunshine has been a big disappointment for him.
If he makes it deep at the slams then he will, otherwise no, because he will peak for the slams only again, as he used to in 2013-2017 period.

Since his first slam SF at USO'13 till RG'17 F, he has entered every mandatory and non-mandatory masters (34 tournaments overall) and fifteen slams, making five semis at masters level (one title) i.e. just 14.7 % and nine semis at slams (three titles) or a huge 60 %.

At his current age he won't have such a huge SF rate at slams but making several SF more and another GS final is certainly possible.

·
23,064 Posts
Miami really hasn't been a happy ground for Stan but you would think a new venue would change that. Was a fighting well and did win a tight 1st Set. That being said it looked like he was unsure throughout the match and wasn't clinical. 50 UEs says it all. 2nd Set looked like he wasn't even there seemingly not playing with any intensity. Did come back in the 3rd Set and was a break up but again his ability to carry momentum keeps on lacking. Did fight to break Krajinovic before a TB but Krajinovic forced one.

Wasn't able to watch the TB but it's shocking to read that he actually was 4-1 up in the TB. He looked pretty stable enough on his service games that he must have had a big meltdown there. It is odd he is losing against really low ranked players lately but had good wins against higher ranked ones. But as I said he didn't look comfortable plus there was not much crowd to pump him up.

So on we go I guess to clay. Hope he sharpens his focus for that because this can be crucial for the rest of his year. But for now it seems Miami is just his "vacation time" as seen with his pictures that makes me wonder if he should skip partying next time and dedicate his time to improve on this cool court.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Depressing stuff.

Stan is injured and at the end he lost on purpose to avoid another meeting with Fed - maybe it's better this way.

NID fakertards bashing Stan. Hate is strong there.
He fought all the way to a 3rd set TB only to then throw the match away on purpose? :spit:

·
Registered
948 Posts
Mindboggling collapse from Wawrinka in that tiebreak. The mental strength he has shown from 2014 onwards is completely gone along with the confidence.

·
23,064 Posts
Mindboggling collapse from Wawrinka in that tiebreak. The mental strength he has shown from 2014 onwards is completely gone along with the confidence.
I actually think mental strength is still there as seen with his clutch saves on BP, but his big issue is more of consolidating a lead, and practically not giving any hope to the opponent. His confidence I agree seems iffy, like there's 2 sides fighting about whether he'll be great again. What I like though is he's fighting to get back and actually giving effort to up intensity when he's down. But that seems to be "artificial confidence" with not as naturally flowing in his game when he needs to be.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
Not at all IMO, neither he was a mental giant or Stanimal at the masters level since 2014 (losing 20+ times in the first two rounds therein), neither is he really bad currently.

Whether he will be back in GS semis & finals, this or the next year, is to be seen, but he will certainly give his 101% there again, unlike at the masters level.

·
Registered
14,508 Posts
I really wonder if Stan will ever come back one day in the top 10.
Deffo not in next 2 years. By then he will be too old to attempt it again... >:)

·
Registered
479 Posts
Wawrinka could've approached the net a lot more in this match...especially in the tiebreaker when leading and hitting deep agressive shots. I would be surprised to see Federer make the same mistake next round. Kudos to Krajinovic he did play some great defense at the end.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When he was 5-2 in the tie-breaker, and he just needed to serve out to win the match, it suddenly dawned on Wawrinka that he had to meet with Federer again, and that depressed him enough that he tanked the match. To me, there is no other explanation for Wawrinka to lose after being 2-minibreaks up in the TB :).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts