Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a lot of people, including I, sure underestimated Blake here and he gave a good account of himself here for not having played a truly competitive match at full fitness this season. James got out to a 5-*1 lead in the first set. He broke to start the match and held for 2-0 after saving three break points, double faulting twice in his first service game. Davydenko was up 40-15 to hold and was broken to go down 0-*3. Davy got one of the breaks back for *1-3 but was immediately rebroken to 30. Both players then comfortably held before Davydenko broke James when serving for the first set at *5-2, after being up 30-0 in the game. Davy held comfortably but James held to love to win the first set.

Second set both players held their serves easily until 3 all, where Davydenko had 40-0 before having to save a BP to hold. At 4-5, Blake DF'd down *30-40 to lose the second set.

Blake broke for a *2-1 lead to open the third set, but was broken immediately to lose his advantage. Both players then held their serves from there without facing a break point until Blake served at 4-5, where he was broken to lose the match after saving two match points.

Davydenko served at a very high first serve percentage like he does a lot, in an effort to protect his second serve. In this match-up that was wise since Davy's second serve is especially vulnerable to Blake's return. He did a good job holding serve the final two sets overall and was able to get the crucial break to win the match. Davydenko gets his first win over Blake in 8 tries and now plays Isner in the second round.

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Came down to the serves. Davy served at a very high percentage and won 66% of service points in the third set, protected his serve better as the match went on. Blake's first serve percentage wasn't high enough, he was damaged on second serves and it cost him.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
James... :sad:
Blake needs to find his form, I know he still have tennis.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
:clap2:
It would have been pathetic to end his career without beating Blake atleast once.

·
♤23♤
32,996 Posts
Before you know it, Kolya will be leading the H2H between the two. :cool:

·
Premium Member
20,653 Posts
Davy :yeah:

·
Registered
7,945 Posts
What happened? Was Blake injured again this year?
Didn't he finally manage to find some form at the end of last year? But then he disappeared again. Or am I remembering it wrong? :confused:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What happened? Was Blake injured again this year?
Didn't he finally manage to find some form at the end of last year? But then he disappeared again. Or am I remembering it wrong? :confused:
Chronic knee injury. He's been off and on the tour the past three-ish seasons. He missed the AO and really hasn't played a healthy match until today in 2012. He had a good result in Stockholm beating Del Potro there and has shown flashes of his previous level the last few seasons, but he has not been healthy enough to fully show what he has left in the tank since he's been out of competition so much.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Confidence booster for Kolya! Watch get back to the top now.

·
Registered
29,199 Posts
Too close, Kolya. Keep rolling now, you got work to do in the quarters

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
i told you if Davy beats Blake and then Isner he'll win the tournament

1 - 20 of 42 Posts