800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
That choke in 2nd set :scared:

But some how managed to win at the end :grin2:

Two Canadian Teens in Masters SF :bounce:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Djokovic/Murray at some Masters in 2007 I think? Either 2007 or 2008.
They wouldn't be teens in 2008.

Edit: You're right though, it's 2007. They both were Denis' age. Felix is 16 months younger than Denis though.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Strange match!

Shap so up and down. Unable to close simply, 2nd set, up 5/1.
At times going for lines and missing too mcuh, more error -prone than he was against TSitsi.

Thought he played better against TSitsi, Tiafoe was good but Shap was just missing alot more tonight, not due to frances.

Anyone know anything about taping under knee? Could just be there for extra support ...

Anyway, he got the job done.

Oh Canada.

·
The special one
14,037 Posts
2 teenage Canadians in the SF now, the future looks bright with these guys.

I only watched the first set, I though Shapovalov should've won it before the TB imo, had a SP which he should've done better with, good level overall though. Hopefully we see this Shap/Federer match in the SF now.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
This match was bizarre, to say the least. Denis was the better player in the first, but Tiafoe played a stronger tiebreak and took the first set. Denis came out in the second looking like he had given up, but after making an incredible volley (that Tiafoe congratulated him on at the net...great show of friendly sportsmanship there) in his second service game, he went on to break Tiafoe twice, and had several BP/SP to breadstick him. However, Tiafoe fought back with some incredible volleys on SPs, and then Denis' level dropped and it was suddenly 5*-4 with Francis pressuring Shapovalov after seeming to have done nothing to win points.

The third was mostly Denis dictating points without too much drama, but overall the level of play was so much lower than the Tsitsipas match that it felt like two different players.

Let the storylines start about a possible all-Canadian teenager final! That is honestly very unlikely, considering the level of their competition in the semis, but one thing is for sure, both Denis and Felix deserve to be in the semis, and if they can play their best, they are going to have an opportunity to win it all here.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Canadians now #10 (Milos) #12 (Felix) and #14 (Denis) in the race

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
This match was bizarre, to say the least. Denis was the better player in the first, but Tiafoe played a stronger tiebreak and took the first set. Denis came out in the second looking like he had given up, but after making an incredible volley (that Tiafoe congratulated him on at the net...great show of friendly sportsmanship there) in his second service game, he went on to break Tiafoe twice, and had several BP/SP to breadstick him. However, Tiafoe fought back with some incredible volleys on SPs, and then Denis' level dropped and it was suddenly 5*-4 with Francis pressuring Shapovalov after seeming to have done nothing to win points.

The third was mostly Denis dictating points without too much drama, but overall the level of play was so much lower than the Tsitsipas match that it felt like two different players.

Let the storylines start about a possible all-Canadian teenager final! That is honestly very unlikely, considering the level of their competition in the semis, but one thing is for sure, both Denis and Felix deserve to be in the semis, and if they can play their best, they are going to have an opportunity to win it all here.
V good summary! I saw it the same way.
Based on current level I think Felix is the one who can beat Fed (maybe) but he has to beat Isner first. Not easy! and shouldn't he be exhausted sometime around now? having played quallies too ..

If Denis can find the level he had against tsitsi he has a chance against fed, but tonight he was very messy

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s too bad Shapovalov has to meet an in-form Federer in the Semis. He just demolished Anderson. Can’t see Federer losing.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Something the matter with Tiafoe's footwork, he seems to be off balance when returning a lot of the times.

·
Registered
28,789 Posts
Encouraging stuff for Canadian tennis.

Shapo was a bit up and down today, but the better player overall and deserved the win. Already in the second set, Tiafoe seemed to be struggling a bit physically, so I'm glad he didn't win. Then we might've got another walkover situation.

Shapovalov vs Federer, should be fun. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts