Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I didn't see it, but going 3 sets and being broken 3 times, Djokovic was shaky first 2 sets, but finished strong with 2 breaks in the 3rd. The 3rd set went by fast and it was all over!!

·
Mostly unbiased analyst
3,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't see it, but going 3 sets and being broken 3 times, Djokovic was shaky first 2 sets, but finished strong with 2 breaks in the 3rd. The 3rd set went by fast and it was all over!!
Apparently Delbonis called an MTO in the third

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
At first, Delbo was playing well but not steady enough; Djokovic slightly shaky, but clutch at the end of the first set getting out of a *5-5 0-30 situation. Up a set and a break, a straightforward Djokowin was expected, but Delbonis somehow channeled the spirit of Delbashtro and bashed to break twice saving 0-40 in the process and take the second set. Started the third set ok but then began to wilt, called an MTO after being broken and didn't win another game.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
Delbonis was hitting winners at will in the 2nd set, from the bh side no less. Novak was playing very short and wasn't moving at all at times to cover the court. Delbonis called trainer to bandage his foot after 2nd set was over. Blisters I think.

Novak tried a little bit harder in the 3rd set but it was mostly Delbonis playing awful all of a sudden. Doesn't look good for the rest of the tournament, but Novak played bad to win in the end before so... :shrug:

·
The special one
14,024 Posts
Yeah Novak was very shaky in the first 2 sets to put it kindly, his level improved in the decider though, did just enough.

His level has in general been very average here and at IW, that said his draw looks very good and he has a clear path to the final. RBA next and then Isner/Edmund in the QF and someone like Kyrgios, FAA or Basilashvili in the SF, that's a very favourable draw for Novak imo.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Not the greatest level ever from Djokovic, but better than Indian Wells. I think making it through a tough match like this will help him here. RBA won't be easy, but I do expect he will win this time.

·
Registered
6,489 Posts
Djokovic weak, Delboner bashing like there’s no tommorow to win the second set. No wonder he blistered up.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Ouch, I suppose it wasn't pretty. RBA will be very dangerous to Novak.

·
Registered
9,237 Posts
Novak is trying to play himself into form but another loss to RBA looks very likely. Make no mistake, Delbonis was hitting winners because Novak was just playing safe and short. Typical of him, trying to play with his legs only and conserve energy in the first rounds...so this is what happens often.

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
But who would be Djokovic's toughest opponent in the F: Rogie, Tsitsipas, Shapovalov, Anderson, or someone else??
Definitely not Rogie.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts