Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Farewell Fena! Miami R1: Mahut def. Gonzalez 7-5 4-6 7-6(3)

It's over. He had a great run. But all good things come to an end eventually. Gonzo saved three match points at *4-5 and saved 15-30 second serve against him at *5-6. Mahut saved a BP to start the third set and saved 15-40 at 3 all with back-to-back second serve aces. Mahut hit the majority of his aces the second half of the third set.

Gonzo had the break lead in the second set after Mahut started out the set serving poorly. Mahut broke for 4 all but Gonzo re-broke and held to win the second set. He was holding serve more comfortably from the second set to the middle of the third set and was in a lot of return games from that point, but Mahut was the one holding his serve much easier by the end of the match and won the breaker in the end without losing a service point.

Sad that this wasn't televised, I think we all should feel cheated about that, especially his fans who couldn't make the trip to Miami. What a way to end your career, in a dramatic third set breaker. GL in life post tennis, Gonzo.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Tennis lost. What a terrible way to bow out :bigcry:. Unfortunately this match alone pretty much entailed the story of his career....summed up in two words: Missed, Opportunities.

Fena will be missed dearly :sad: :hug:.

·
Your visions will happen
48,648 Posts
To Mahut, on a court that no one was able to watch televised :sad:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Re: Farewell Fena! Miami R1: Mahut def. Gonzalez 7-5 4-6 7-6(3)

With all that said, I am GLAD Nicolas won this match. He's the one whose career will advance forward winning this match. And it's a very important victory for him. His match vs Berdych should be a lot of fun and very entertaining.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts

Awful way to end your career, Fena. Losing a non-tv-match against a mug like Mahut.
You will be missed your crazy chilean.
Flamboyant, charismatic and with the hardest forehand money can buy. Good luck in after-tennis-life. :yeah:

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
Well, it's sad that he lost, but his opponent, Nicolas Mahut, deserves credit for his great serving at the end of the third set. Mahut is simply the better tennis player at this stage and he got the required victory.

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
"Can you hear the drums, Fernando...?"

Oh man. He certainly had his chances here. Losing your last set on the ATP tour in a tiebreak is respectable. I'll miss this guy, I wish his grand exit from the tour didn't have to happen on a non-televised court :(

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
No credit given whatsoever to Gonzo. When are you never bitter flyboy?

·
29,637 Posts

:sad:

Another flicker of light fades out.

Great entertainer and character.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts

·
Registered
21,336 Posts
Why is his last match in Miami? Does he live there, or is their some special significance to that tournament?

·
Banned
34,908 Posts
No credit given whatsoever to Gonzo. When are you never bitter flyboy?
Bitter? I'm happy. I got the result I wanted. But that doesn't mean I'm happy about Gonzo losing. It just means I am HAPPIER for Mahut winning than I am sad for Gonzalez losing. Sorry, not everyone is going to share your emotions here.

With that said, it's probably best I leave, before others here cry and whine. GL to the rest of your life post pro tennis, Gonzo :hug:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
^^
Filo V :yeah:. I love your stuff man (I think?).

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
You can see in his eyes he was somewhere else.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts