Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which players have good mental stability and composure in difficult situations? Appreciate any well reasoned responses...

I'm impressed by Coric's mental strength. Federer maintains great composure in big matches. I geuss anybody who is a consistent top 10 player is a testimony to their mental stability

Zen

·
Administrator | Chaos Theory
55,046 Posts
Nadal was at the forefront some time ago. There are different ways this can be assessed, such as BP saving/conversion and winning tight matches.
Would probably say Djokovic and Nishikori, who are the leaders of the deciding set (3rd or 5th set) record in the Open era with Borg as well. Pretty remarkable stuff.
Federer is pretty good at coming up with a good first serve to erase BPs, as with Isner for obvious reasons.

http://heavytopspin.com/2015/04/29/kei-nishikoris-unbeatable-run-in-deciding-sets/

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Vintage Nadal was the clutchest player ever. Heck, even Nadal in 2013 USO was. Watch that 3rd set. After that Djokovic deflated like a cheap balloon. :lol:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Federer is probably the most composed of all players. He will get a little frustrated at times, but only when he isn't playing to his highest standard.

Denis Istomin is pretty quiet for the most part as well. When he won his match against Gulbis he reacted with a quiet composure, but his happiness was apparent. He has a quiet strength that comes from having overcome steep odds against him. To be on the professional tour is as much a victory for Istomin as multiple slams are for the top men.

·
Registered
14,627 Posts
Nadal is so clutch that he makes Rosol and Darcis look like mental giants:worship:
Darcis 3 setted Nadal, hardly anything to do with being 'clutch' in that match, he just was outplayed. and even the Rosol match, Rosol was hammering away with his groundstrokes, not so much a mental thing as just being outplayed

the other poster is correct, Nadal for most of his career has been a beast in terms of confidence, effort, playing the big points. sure his game style helps enable that, high percentage shots and net clearance but still

universally usually when players are asked, including top players like Djokovic/Murray, who the toughest person to play against has been they'll say Nadal purely because he's so dogged and determined in big moments

that said I think its hilarious that the OP mentioned how impressed they were with Coric's mental strength. yeah? after his like 15 pro level matches? :rolleyes: it takes a huge mentality to take out 33 year old burnt out Robredo for sure. or could that be just his legs and endurance? no way, that couldn't be it

Djokovic obviously has fairly good composure but there are weird moments where he sort of appears to get really anxious when things get close, especially at slams

Murray is like the opposite of composed most of the time, too emotional

I think Federer could win this though, and I know its cliche to pick him for everything but in like 2006 or so he was just so cool, calm, collected in big moments. he still sort of seems that way but I think you will see him get frustrated more often these days....

if we're going way back when then Sampras would be a good pick and before him Borg. all quite stoic and together regardless of the occasion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts