Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Banned
31,496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting tommorrow. Nadal vs Gasquet and Ferrer vs Djoko.

Nadal to beat Gasquet @ 1.38

If Gasquet stands 10 miles behind the baseline, like he usually does then he will get destroyed. Gasquet gets dominated by these solid baseliners - been thrashed by Boredo, Ferrer, Nalbandian and Canas this season.

Also, Nadal is about a million times stronger mentally than Gasquet so if it gets tough, then I knew where I would want my money.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
I don't usually like to take such low odds as a single, but, in this case, I'd be willing to make an exception. As you say, Nadal's style is a bad match for Richie...a French victory would be a shock, in my books.

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
what's the story with the court this year? Am I right in thinking that it will be much slower than last year? I thought I read somewhere that one of the reasons Bercy was slowed down was that it would give the players better preparation for Shanghai.
If the court is much slower than last year I'll be backing Nadal every match and possibly outright too.

·
Premium Member
24,603 Posts
I don't usually like to take such low odds as a single, but, in this case, I'd be willing to make an exception. As you say, Nadal's style is a bad match for Richie...a French victory would be a shock, in my books.
Not going to go through with it...a little bit spooked by the reports in GM about a possible Nadal injury.

Nole should take out Ferru, but it isn't guaranteed by any means. Vamos Ferru! :rocker2:

Going to be hard to find any decent value bets this week. Interested to see how Roddick/Gonzo will be priced.

·
Ace Loveforty
83,415 Posts
what's the story with the court this year? Am I right in thinking that it will be much slower than last year? I thought I read somewhere that one of the reasons Bercy was slowed down was that it would give the players better preparation for Shanghai.
If the court is much slower than last year I'll be backing Nadal every match and possibly outright too.
I think it's the same as last year but Paris was much faster so they changed it to be almost the same as Shanghai but I dont think it means that Shanghai got slower also

·
Registered
271 Posts
Not going to go through with it...a little bit spooked by the reports in GM about a possible Nadal injury.

Nole should take out Ferru, but it isn't guaranteed by any means. Vamos Ferru! :rocker2:

Going to be hard to find any decent value bets this week. Interested to see how Roddick/Gonzo will be priced.
Is this a new injury since Paris, or the reocurring stuff throughout the season?

thanks

G

·
On par with Madrid is my understanding

·
Registered
13,750 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Some probably useless research...

The surface is officially Taraflex which is classed as medium paced "artificial grass" by the ITF. It is currently only used in Lyon and Zagreb on the tour((both of which are pretty fast) but is also the official surface of the Gothenburg and Minsk Davis Cup "icerinks". (It was used in Moscow and St. Petersburg before Tarpischev decided to hand a contract to his son's company)

From my memories of last year the surface was one of the fastest on the tour (Blake reaching the final, Roddick reaching mp v Fed, Fed's routine win over Nadal).
I guess we'll just have to wait and see how if plays but I'm expecting it to be quick if they haven't fucked around with it this year.

Not that I'll see very much. I don't normally do mornings.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I think the first matches will be tight because the players will be starting to get used to the conditions. Wouldn't be a major shock if Nadal and Djokovic loses because theses players are top 8 players. I can't bet, i've got to see some action first.

·
Registered
11,122 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Some probably useless research...

The surface is officially Taraflex which is classed as medium paced "artificial grass" by the ITF. It is currently only used in Lyon and Zagreb on the tour((both of which are pretty fast) but is also the official surface of the Gothenburg and Minsk Davis Cup "icerinks". (It was used in Moscow and St. Petersburg before Tarpischev decided to hand a contract to his son's company)
As I understand it Taraflex is a sports flooring brandname of Berry Floor. They produce many different tennis surfaces from slow to ultrafast. The slow Paris court was also laid by them as well as most likely many other venues besides the ones mentioned. St.P etersburg was listed as Taraflex also but seemed to be slower this year. I think the only proof will come from watching the first matches. It wouldn't surprise me if they slowed it down like other tournaments.

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
YTD 186-297 (+294.43 units)

Nadal 2-0 over Gasquet @ 1.93 (8 units)
Pics Ferrer over Ðokovic @ 3.70 (7 units)
Henin over Sharapova @ 1.50 (10 units)
Henin 2-0 over Sharapova @ 2.22 (10 units)

1 - 20 of 242 Posts