Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Austria caused a major shock in the Davis Cup as they beat Russia to reach the quarter-finals of the competition for the first time since 1995.Jurgen Melzer, who rose to number eight in the world rankings last year but has slipped recently to 40, won the decisive fourth rubber by thrashing Alex Bogomolov Jr 6-2 6-4 6-1 in one hour and 43 minutes.

Although Igor Kunistyn went on to beat Andreas Haider-Maurer later in the day, Austria progressed 3-2 and will now play the 2011 champions, Spain, in the last eight. Fans of Betfair Tennis will be expecting a Spanish win.

Russia were weakened by the fact that their leading player, Mikhail Youzhny, was struggling with a shoulder injury, and his replacement, Bogomolov, lost both his singles matches."I think it was one-way traffic," said Melzer after his crucial victory.

"It surprised me a little bit because I think he's a great player, but I just dominated him after the first three points when he hit three winners. It was close to the performances I had when I was in the top-ten and I'm really happy for the team that we made it."

Russia have won the Davis Cup on two occasions, but have now crashed out of the competition at the first round stage for two years in a row. Anyone looking at betting websites should bear this in mind.

In other matches, Ivo Karlovic helped Croatia set up a quarter-final clash with Argentina after edging past Japan 3-2.The 32-year-old beat Go Soeda 7-6 6-1 6-4 on Sunday after earlier securing a singles victory against Kei Nishikori and partnering Ivan Dodig to success in the doubles.

Argentina reached the quarter-finals by cruising to a 4-1 victory over Germany.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts