Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else surprised to see Marcelo Rios' name on the list of entrants in the Pan-Am Games? It's no secret that the guy is a shadow of his former self, but are there not two Masters Series events scheduled these next few weeks?
--Jon Wertheim

Is his confidence that low? :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Why is Marcelo Rios playing Pan Am instead of the Masters tournaments?

:lol: at this article from the Games

Hot and Bothered Rios Advances at Pan Am Games

(2003-08-05)
SANTO DOMINGO (Reuters) - Bad-tempered former world number one Marcelo Rios overcame a towel shortage to surge into the third round of the Pan American Games tennis tournament on Tuesday.

Despite an erratic start that included a number of unforced errors, the 43rd-ranked Chilean needed just 48 minutes to dispatch Trinidad's Shane Stone 6-2, 6-2. Who:confused:

However, Rios spent a majority of the match sweating buckets in the tropical heat and was furious at a lack of towels to mop up the perspiration.

"What happened here does not happen anywhere else in the world," said Rios, who was also angry at the speed of the main court.

"There were no towels and everything was a mess."

"It's not right that the main court is faster than the training courts, this is bad," he added.

Rios was also irritated at suggestions that he was considering retirement.

"I never said I was going to retire from tennis. That's an invention on the part of some journalists who will say anything."

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
not enough towels? oh, booo-hoooo! NOW SHUT UP! :smash:

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

From Reuters
Temperamental Chilean Rios, who needed only 48 minutes to win his opening match on Tuesday, continued to coast in the tennis with a 6-0 6-3 win over El Salvador's Jaime Cuellar.

``I didn't have too many difficulties,'' Rios admitted afterwards.

:lol:

Former world number one Marcelo Rios lived up to his top billing in the tennis, demolishing an opponent whose total prize money this year totals just $118.

That's ridiculous.

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Woo-hoo! Marcelo in the Finals!

Also making a statement in the Pan Ams has been Marcelo Rios, once the world's top-ranked tennis player and now 43rd. The Chilean edged Alex Kim of Potomac, Md., 7-6 (9), 7-6 (4) to make the finals against Brazil's Ferdinand Meligeni.

"I'm not at the level I have been in the past, but I will still win the title in my present condition," Rios said.

Meligeni will be playing his final match after 13 years on tour. That didn't faze Rios.

"I'm indifferent," he said. "I've played finals of major tournaments and I am used to the pressure and different types of opponents. I also know how to control anxiety and remain calm."

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

BTW, anyone know if players getting ranking points playing Pan Am?

·
Registered
8,888 Posts

meligeni won
5-7 7-6 7-6
he saved four match points!! go brazil!!!!

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
it was very suprise to me, he won against rios..... this is awsome!!!!!! proud of u meligeni.... :) as a brazilian and admirater how I am..... much proud of u!!
well done boy!!!!!!! :p unfortunately he retired of tennis career but he decided that so.... now we've only Guga for play in Davis....I can't believe it :(

·
Registered
420 Posts
SANTO DOMINGO (Reuters) - Former world number one Marcelo Rios squandered two match points before losing to Fernando Meligeni in the Brazilian's farewell match in the Pan American Games tennis final on Sunday.

Meligeni, 33, who announced earlier he would retire after the Panam tournament, won 5-7 7-6 (8-6) 7-6 (7-5) after saving match points in the second and third sets.

"I ran like a condemned man," said Meligeni. "It was dramatic, it was exciting. It was the last match of my career and it was very emotional to have retired with a gold.

"It was a very tough, hard-fought game and I confess I didn't expect the gold medal because I wasn't in the best condition."

Both players broke service early in the first set before Rios broke again in the 11th game and then held serve in a game which lasted 15 minutes to go one set up.

All games went with serve in the second set and Rios appeared to be on the brink of victory when he led 6-4 in the tiebreak with serve but failed to win the point. Meligeni then bounced back to win the tiebreak 8-6.

Rios had another match point in the 12th game of the final set but again failed to take his chance. Meligeni then leveled the set at 6-6 and won the tiebreak 7-5.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
WO HOOOOOOOOO MELI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p thx for the report.... great match :) He deserved that :cool:

Does someone knows why Rios desappeared from the biggest tournaments???

·
psychotic banana
15,731 Posts
Rios doesn't look happy. I wonder why.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts