Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fernando Meligniei rescued match point the last two sets, as he won the PA Games gold by defeating Marcelo Rios 5:7 7:6 7:6 in his last match before retriring.

Congrats Meligieni :D

Marcelo :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
I can't believe Marcelo has retired! This is completely true?! I am going to cry

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
But someone posted this on a Yahoo! Group

Tell me it's not true!!!!!!!

"

Rios anounced he will retired after ending his participation on "Juegos
Panamericanos" on Santo domingo...he lost the final against fernando Meligheni
who also retired form the atp after the match.. Rios end his career winnig the
silver medal in a competition he was hte favorite and has been the first
latinamerican to be number 1 for almost 3 months, on his press coference he
said one strong reason ot retired was the continue injuries he was suffering
latetly.....
Ay Marcelo!!!!btw this retired is not surprising...
kisses
Cala

"

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
:confused: I read something about Marcelo said he was not retiring before the final in Pan Am but I can't remember where. But being Marcelo Rios, he may change his mind 100 times before the end of the day. :p

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I've read the press conference from Marcelo after he lost the gold medal and he never ever mentioned that he would quit after the Pan-Am games.
He just said that he is "considering" his retirement due his continues injuries, but he has not yet taken any decision about it. period. Marcelo Ríos HAS NOT announced his retirement.

In the other hand Meligeni did it, but after his success in santo Domingo he said that winning this gold medal has tempted him to "change" his mind about retirement, though he said he will stick to his previous decision and that match Against Ríos was the last one of his career. Actually after the match many brazilian athletes reached him at the "Villa Panamericana" to express their admiration and congratulations to "Fininho" for his career and gold medal.

So "till the moment" Fininho Meligeni have said "adeus" (bye), and el chino is still around here... but who knows? they can change their mind tomorrow, Marcelo could quit and Fininho to play one year more to represent Brazil at the olympic games. Everything is possible about Fininho and el Chino ;) :scratch:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thank you Jorge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
My daddy lives in Phoenix... Scottsdale, whatever. Haha! I just got back from there, but the area confuses me. My dad says he lives in Phoenix and I believe him, lol, but I see all these street signs saying "Scottsdale Rd." and what not, so I definitely don't understand the place quite well. It's wonderful though, and the people are so nice

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts
Re: Re: Meligeni won Pan American Games

Gonzo Hates Me! said:
My daddy lives in Phoenix... Scottsdale, whatever. Haha! I just got back from there, but the area confuses me. My dad says he lives in Phoenix and I believe him, lol, but I see all these street signs saying "Scottsdale Rd." and what not, so I definitely don't understand the place quite well. It's wonderful though, and the people are so nice

LOL, west of Scottsdale Road is Phoenix and east is Scottsdale. Well, in most parts! Is that clear enough for you?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thanks, I will try to remember that next time I go! Seriously!

Are you from Arizona?!

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

Gonzo Hates Me! said:
Thanks, I will try to remember that next time I go! Seriously!

Are you from Arizona?!
I live in Scottsdale but Phoenix is a strange Metro. My son's school is actually located in Phoenix but is under Cave Creek (another town/city in the metro) School Districts. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well, hopefully I can figure out that place in soon time. I really want to go to the Scottsdale women's tournament there, and I'll need to be more knowledgable about the area I guess.

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

Gonzo Hates Me! said:
Well, hopefully I can figure out that place in soon time. I really want to go to the Scottsdale women's tournament there, and I'll need to be more knowledgable about the area I guess.
It will be a combined tournament next year. Both men and women played in the same week. And you only need to know Scottsdale Road, Hayden Road and Loop 101.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Huh!!!!!!!!! You're kidding!!!!!!! I didn't know that--now I have to go! It's just plane tickets... I'll have to find a really high paying job, bah

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

Gonzo Hates Me! said:
Huh!!!!!!!!! You're kidding!!!!!!! I didn't know that--now I have to go! It's just plane tickets... I'll have to find a really high paying job, bah
Because Indian Wells expanded to a 2 weeks event in ATP, Scottsdale's men's tournament was pushed one week ahead, so unless WTA change the schedule, both tournaments will happen in the same week. I am not sure whether Princess Resort be able to hold the tournaments at the same week though?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Well, if it's one week or not, I've pretty much settled I have to go there! LOL! I change my mind, I totally forgot about the men's Scottsdale tourney--and I prefer to go there should they not be the same week. This will be my opportunity to see Hewitt I believe, so I gotta go! I remember one year he lost that final after leading the final set tiebreak 6-1. LOL

·
Gugaholic
84,779 Posts

Gonzo Hates Me! said:
Well, if it's one week or not, I've pretty much settled I have to go there! LOL! I change my mind, I totally forgot about the men's Scottsdale tourney--and I prefer to go there should they not be the same week. This will be my opportunity to see Hewitt I believe, so I gotta go! I remember one year he lost that final after leading the final set tiebreak 6-1. LOL
Hewitt is the defending champ so I believe he'll definitely show up. Last year, I was on my way home just after the final was over. I passed the Scottsdale airport (this is the local airport, mainly for private jets and planes) and there was a long lineup of private jets waiting to take off. I was wondering why so much traffic today and then recognised the final was just over. (the airport is right next to the tournament site and also the PGA golf course)

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Thanks!! Why don't you go this coming year? It's in February right? I've gotta make loads of money to go, but I know I can do it... and it would be my first time on a plane alone! :eek: I am such a little girl, lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts