Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there. My first post here and maybe a odd one, but let's try it. I hope some Aussies are able to tell me.

Just wondering about the Australian circuit during the 80's. It was played November-January and I noticed that at some stage('84 I believe) there were even three tournaments in Melbourne! An indoor event played in October, then of course the Aussie Open at Kooyong and a couple of weeks later another grass tournament in Melbourne. Does anyone know where in Melbourne were these events played? Especially the second grass tournament? Also in Kooyong?

·
Forum Umpire:, Gaston Gaudio,
124,506 Posts
Hey there. My first post here and maybe a odd one, but let's try it. I hope some Aussies are able to tell me.

Just wondering about the Australian circuit during the 80's. It was played November-January and I noticed that at some stage('84 I believe) there were even three tournaments in Melbourne! An indoor event played in October, then of course the Aussie Open at Kooyong and a couple of weeks later another grass tournament in Melbourne. Does anyone know where in Melbourne were these events played? Especially the second grass tournament? Also in Kooyong?
Well there were the Brisbane and Sydney Indoor events. Then the Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne grass events. plus the GS event.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Archive-Event-Calendar.aspx?t=2&y=1983

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there were the Brisbane and Sydney Indoor events. Then the Sydney, Adelaide and Melbourne grass events. plus the GS event.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Scores/Archive-Event-Calendar.aspx?t=2&y=1983
Yes the classic Sydney Indoor, which really should still be in the calender. Sydney outdoors was obviously played at White City and Adelaide at Memorial, but the one in Melbourne bugs me. Could it be possible that two weeks after a Slam, they play a regular event at Kooyong? Too bad, they don't have exact event details.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
C'mon guys. Before I joined this great forum, I've been reading it for the past three years. I love the history of the game and I know there's plenty of knowledge round here. Some old geezer from down under should know this one.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
Yes the classic Sydney Indoor, which really should still be in the calender. Sydney outdoors was obviously played at White City and Adelaide at Memorial, but the one in Melbourne bugs me. Could it be possible that two weeks after a Slam, they play a regular event at Kooyong? Too bad, they don't have exact event details.
The grass event (a.k.a. Jason Victorian Open) was played at Kooyong:

http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2754489
http://hemeroteca-paginas.elmundodeportivo.es/EMD01/HEM/1985/01/01/MD19850101-036.pdf

No clue about the indoor carpet event (a.k.a. Black and Decker Indoor Championships), though. Yeah, Fast Clay should know.

Btw, not meaning to recall my old mod days, but this should be on the "Blast From The Past" section. ;)

·
124,506 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great stuff, thank you. Sounds quite funny that they used the same venue to stage a small tournament two weeks after a major. Just imagine it today. One of my favourite things are the old venues used in tennis. Breaks my heart to think how Forest Hills is treated today. Or White City in Sydney.

Altough I'm a rookie, I actually think this is quite a suitable thread to be posted in the general section. The blast from the past section seems a bit quiet.

If someone would open a thread in the general section titled "US Open '57 QF: Anderson bt. Ayala 6-1,6-3,6-1" and then would rant how Ayala played like a mug, would he be banned? I'm not getting any ideas, just curios.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BTW, the Melbourne grass tournament mentioned before (Jason Viktoria Open) has a blooper. The stats from '82 and '83 are identical and I believe they are both credited to Pat Cash. Seems to be a mistake.

·
Premium Member
12,570 Posts
Nowhere else they could have played the tournament.
I imagine court conditions weren't the best after two weeks of Grand Slam matches. Good thing they didn't play much on the baseline back then.

Altough I'm a rookie, I actually think this is quite a suitable thread to be posted in the general section. The blast from the past section seems a bit quiet.

If someone would open a thread in the general section titled "US Open '57 QF: Anderson bt. Ayala 6-1,6-3,6-1" and then would rant how Ayala played like a mug, would he be banned? I'm not getting any ideas, just curios.
Yeah, people would probably take days (or even weeks) to see the thread there. :lol:

·
124,506 Posts
I imagine court conditions weren't the best after two weeks of Grand Slam matches. Good thing they didn't play much on the baseline back then.
They serve volleyed all the time and it got quite warm there so it baked the court if anything. It's a really old venue they had to move the Aus Open from there.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At least Kooyong is still used as a warm-up. Forest Hills would be a wonderful warm-up event in August. Yes, I know it's in bad shape, but the history there is priceless.

Even the old warm-up tournaments in Long Island and Schenectady feel like great nostalgic events, now when they're gone. The tennis grounds at Long Island apparently still stand. Not so sure about Schenectady.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts