Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Man... I follow the Challenger tour closely and even the Futures circuit and I've never heard of this guy. Mukund beating Kavcic didn't surprise me at all, but this one is really weird and unexpected. Masur is too good to lose to #1093. To me it's either fixing or some personal reason (sickness/didn't want to stay there /wanted to go back home/).

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I was like WTF ???? when I saw the score. This Shanmugan guy usually has troubles to qualify for futures. It was the first time I saw this name although I check challengers and futures on quite regular basis.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
Well,

No offense but Indian or Thaï Challengers are a place where you should avoid betting....

Too many external factors like Heat or if the European/US guy has not been extremly cautious with food sourcing or fructs or water...

I know they are Pro and aware of it but withdrawls or bad performances happened year after year.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
This reminds me of Mukund's first big challenger win. He beat Quentin Halys somewhere in China (on clay). Odds were @11.00

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
Masur apparently sick and not in great shape atm

·
justice for all
16,878 Posts
I really think betting on challengers and especially futures should be forbidden.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
There's something about this tournament, maybe international players wanna leave it or leave Asia as a precaution for coronavirus or something else. Jaziri lost the first set vs Nagal, but was up a break 3-2 in the second and odds for him were @5.50. It's not normal and right now bookies most likely know something we don't.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I don't believe this has to do with fixing, but as people suggested a lot of time the conditions that players face in certain countries are not ideal. From poor hotels to upset stomachs from food/water, it is not uncommon that players either don't want to be there anymore or simply aren't at their best.

Also, fixes always have odds movement that are strange. This was not the case, so likely Masur just wanted to get out of the area and wasn't invested in the match.

·
Administrator
9,551 Posts
$780 for R1 exit. ?
Or maybe you mean THE money.
At least one k for showing up at a random Challenger in Asia, although he wasn't really up for playing there. I would travel too if I was in a healthy shape and Deutscher Tennis Bund covers parts of the costs as well for him

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
So do we think Rosol's case is similar to Masur or was he just being a head case.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
obviously these are huge losses, though as others have said, conditions are very likely to play a major role in these results, which the local players will obviously be more used to. most glaringly, it's played at almost 1000m of altitude, the highest city in India. without watching, I am guessing Rosol was sending countless groundstrokes metres long (what else is new I hear you say).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts