·
Registered
12,469 Posts

·
Ace Loveforty
83,393 Posts
I was at the match

it was a hard gruelling 1h20min 3 sets battle

best match I have ever seen live. Westerhof made 3 tweeners in the same point. I became a fan despite the close loss

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
I was at the match

it was a hard gruelling 1h20min 3 sets battle

best match I have ever seen live. Westerhof made 3 tweeners in the same point. I became a fan despite the close loss
Are you quoting the official statement of the TIU spokesperson?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can't comment on Van der Duim but Westerhof has never impressed me mentally. I'd never trust him to see out a tight match.

Watched him collapse against Stanek a few weeks back at the Liberec Challenger and that really cemented that thought in my mind.

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Cool, I talked about the match with a journalist of the biggest news outlet of The Netherlands and they published a story in which they surround the match with question marks: http://nos.nl/artikel/685278-winst-van-der-duim-roept-vragen-op.html

Cliffs:

- Some bookies pulled the match
- Online gamblers are en masse saying the match was fixed
- Abnormal amounts of money wagered for a Challenger match
- v/d Duim remained a big favorite even while being down 4-6 0-3
- Massive amounts of money on the 2-1 pre-match

Response v/d Duim:

''We play each other all the time. We have not been approached beforehand. If I understand the accusations? A lot is said on Twitter, mostly cursing. Gamblers are frustrated because they lost money.''

''I play because I want to rise in the rankings, not because I want to make money. I also haven't been playing on the Challenger circuit for that long.'', states v/d Duim, who says he has never been approached to fix a match.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Great to see this getting attention.

Personally, I'd like to see the ATP launch a sting operation to actually try and eradicate this from the game. Of course, I think they know it would do more harm than good and tarnish the sports image in a more public manner when the results of any sting operation were published.

In Britain, newspapers have gone after match fixers in cricket and soccer. It's a shame tennis doesn't have the profile to get the tabloid press attention in the same way.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Last year at Kazan CH, Van der Duim played Golubev in R2.

Golubev was 1.20 to win and Van der Duim 4,33

Odd for first set winner dropped [more than 1.00] before this match [Van der Duim 3.75 to 2.62]

Of course, Van der Duim won first set 6-3 - helped by some strange and easy errors from Golubev.

http://www.flashscore.com/match/U9iU8CcH/#odds-comparison;home-away;set-1

Despite losing first set, Golubev was still heavy favourite 1.35 - 1.40

Once 2nd set started, bet365 blocked all odds in play, except winner and next point winner.

And this ended quickly in 1h and 18 minutes.

Golubev def. Van der Duim 3-6 6-1 6-0

·
Registered
21,399 Posts
Van Der Duim just got interviewed on the radio by the guy who did this piece of commentary, shit got real:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts