Mens Tennis Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Novak fan, I am happy to see this, but can not understand at all. Where is the logic? Sure Daniil will have good chances to be no.1 next year as well, but you never know. Novak might do enough to keep it until AO, and then who knows. At least he can try to be year end no.1, and with Novak skipping few tournaments he has a chance. I do not understand at all.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
You get some points at Laver Cup too you dummy.

And besides who on earth toils on the ATP 250 within two weeks after winning the US Open?

If Med wasn't making moolah at LC he would have just been on vacation.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
For Medvedev what is the rush????...

Djokovic's bid to finish Year End Number 1 again + add on weeks to his total amount of weeks is patently obvious but why does Medvedev need to rush to become Number 1.

He probably doesn't give a squat whether it comes to him in November or April next year.The weeks he has at the top will be negligible in the grand scheme of things as he's just broken new ground here in New York and as long as he gets there in the end it'll simply be another bucket list ticked off.. That's it!

He will not contest the weeks at Number 1 record nor will he come anywhere probably even close to 200 weeks at the top so it's all gravy when he gets it.

He's already swept the August to November tournaments so now it's about racking up more slams now,different slams as well and new titles in the first half of the season.

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
You get points at Laver Cup too you dummy.

And besides who on earth toils on the ATP 250 just two weeks after winning the US Open?

If he wasn't making moolah at LC he would have just been on vacation.
Re highlighted... Surely there's no points from Laver Cup? Prize money yes, but no ATP points AFAIK.

·
Premium Member
11,418 Posts
I think Medvedev talked about his schedule and goals in the post-tournament presser. Said he intends to play Indian Wells, Paris and Tour Finals (and likely no smaller events; not even St. Petersburg), and if that'll be enough for YE #1 remains to be seen. Chasing #1 ranking wasn't a short term goal. He'll be in a good position for that going into next year.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
You get some points at Laver Cup too you dummy.

And besides who on earth toils on the ATP 250 within two weeks after winning the US Open?

If Med wasn't making moolah at LC he would have just been on vacation.
Calling people dummy and being wrong yourself? Embarassing. Pretty sure you don't get points which would be a travesty because it's on invitation and not even the best go there. Including the exhibition matches in atp H2H is already too much if you ask me.

On topic : chasing number 1 should not be Medvedev's goal now and he cannot achieve it this year anyway, unless Djokovic ends his season which is unlikely.
With the light schedule Djokovic plays nowadays, Medvedev should get there soon, no need to chase it like Murray and fuck up your career.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Calling people dummy and being wrong yourself? Embarassing. Pretty sure you don't get points which would be a travesty because it's on invitation and not even the best go there. Including the exhibition matches in atp H2H is already too much if you ask me.

On topic : chasing number 1 should not be Medvedev's goal now and he cannot achieve it this year anyway, unless Djokovic ends his season which is unlikely.
With the light schedule Djokovic plays nowadays, Medvedev should get there soon, no need to chase it like Murray and fuck up your career.

Yep!.... Just from 3 tournaments alone Djokovic is defending 6000 points.Good luck with that!

With Novak's reduced schedule,attaining most of his goals,getting on in years + cutting back on his schedule + inevitable decline in results all Daniil has to do is just keep his head on straight,get good consistent results across the board and just not get injured and it will come... that I'm certain of.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Yep!.... Just from 3 tournaments alone Djokovic is defending 6000 points.Good luck with that!

With Novak's reduced schedule,attaining most of his goals,getting on in years + cutting back on his schedule + inevitable decline in results all Daniil has to do is just keep is head on straight,get good consistent results across the board and just not get injured and it will come... that I'm certain of.
Yes but otoh Medvedev underperformed on grass and clay and I can easily see him, Zverev and Tsitsipas winning a lot bit also preventing each other from reaching number 1 and Djokovic doing the same or similar season as this one and staying at the top of the rankings for another year.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know a guy who compromised his career and body to be no. 1. Doesn't look smart in retrospect. Medvedev is in no rush. He will secure the bag of money and will have fun at the Laver Cup.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Yes but otoh Medvedev underperformed on grass and clay and I can easily see him, Zverev and Tsitsipas winning a lot bit also preventing each other from reaching number 1 and Djokovic doing the same or similar season as this one and staying at the top of the rankings for another year.
I'd love to be wrong but IMO it's highly unlikely Novak be atop the rankings at the end of 2022.

He got away with it this year because he basically maximised all his points on offer at the slams this year which more than made up for the events he 'missed' along the way + had the Next Gen 3 stumbling along the way helping him by losing early in tournaments & all 3 of them not reaching the Quarters at Wimbledon.

If he does bag the top spot at the end of 2022 I'm almost certain it'll be because he 'tweaked' his schedule around and added more events in to make up for upset losses and such.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In his UO presser he told journalists that the race to #1 is very hard and was not a goal for 2021. Next year he might focus on it, he implied. Step by step. You want GSs first...

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Medvedev shouldn’t worry about #1 this year, just do as well as possible in the 3 remaining big tournaments this year, and he should be able to get it at some point next year.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I really hope Djokovic gets YE#1, but if I were Medvedev I would give it an honest shot this year, without doing anything crazy. I suspect he will try, but of course he isn’t going to shout if from the rooftops. If he gets near 3000 points out of the 3500 from the three big events, Djokovic will have to step up which he might not be mentally or physically prepared to do before AO.

Thing is, the future is very hard to predict. While I agree that Medvedev will never challenge the weeks record, getting to #1 at all is a major goal for every elite player, especially after bagging a Slam. He has been missing out all season when he was close, and it is entirely possible that Zverev or Tsitsipas steps up and wins 2 out of three of the remaining big titles. Both have had past success here already. One of them could make a breakthrough at AO and take #1 from Djokovic before Medvedev does, and who knows if Medvedev will have his chance.

Still, I consider Medvedev the favorite to grab #1 from Djokovic, but for his sake, he better not take it for granted.

·
Registered
Diego Schwartzman, Novak Djokovic, Dominic Thiem, Stan Wawrinka
679 Posts
Medvedev can't add any points in week 38 (Metz/Nur-Sultan) or week 39 (Sofia/San Diego) as all of those events are 250s and he already has the maximum number of points in "other countable tournaments".
Rectangle Line Font Parallel Technology

The best he would even be able to do is replace the St. Petersburg points which are dropping off, but he's likely to gain more points at Indian Wells anyway. If he really wanted to he could probably play San Diego (as long as he got a Tuesday start), but flying to Europe or Kazakhstan for one event just to fly back to California right after for Indian Wells would be ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
It's called having fun. Recharging the batteries. Effectively practising in front of a crowd.

Highly recommended.
Plus, big money in the bag.

He won't be YE no.1 this year, he already said he won't play St.Petersburg and Vienna. As he won GS, I guess he will adjust his schedule a bit as well, not playing small tournaments and focusing on bigger tournaments.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts