Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Your visions will happen
50,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Machines calls them cyborgs

Great interview, goes into sparring with Djokovic while 600 ATP ranked, thinks Top 3 are ahead when in zone but that his generation can win if peaking too

·
Registered
763 Posts
The word is not suited at all because what is beautiful in the big 3 is their ability to use their humain side to overcome adversity. All three of them accepted decline on some of their strenght (rallies for Djokovic for example) and worked on service, or return for Nadal. They showed resilience and humility.

But yeah I understand how the young guns can be frustrated by the three best tennismen in history, that's only natural.

·
Registered
64 Posts
No, Djokovic is not a cyborg. It is that kind of mentality that is sickening. Before this final you had beaten him three times out of seven. Not bad at all. Not being able to put up any resistance in a slam final is purely mental. I could understand if someone ranked 50 wouldn't believe his chances too much but if you're ranked number 4?

·
Premium Member
21,534 Posts
Aside from serving and returning really well, Novak also coming to the net more frequently (and with more success), mixing it up, and moving Medvedev side to side constantly. Otoh Medvedev other than hitting hard with so-so results didn't really try much else, for most of the time seemed just to react to things happening on the court rather than trying to dictate anything.

·
NAPRED NOLE
1,707 Posts
For a master chess player Medvedev sure looked lost on the court without any particular strategy. Djokovic was running him side to side, the droppers were out early, then started hitting down the center where Medvedev wasn’t able to generate any power on his own and led to countless errors. His serves were easily read, second was dominated and he couldn’t do much on the return. If he thought it was all about endurance and outlasting and rallying Djokovic, he sure was in for a surprise..

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
For a master chess player Medvedev sure looked lost on the court without any particular strategy. Djokovic was running him side to side, the droppers were out early, then started hitting down the center where Medvedev wasn’t able to generate any power on his own and led to countless errors. His serves were easily read, second was dominated and he couldn’t do much on the return. If he thought it was all about endurance and outlasting and rallying Djokovic, he sure was in for a surprise..
The problem is that people make up their own reality and then get very disappointed when it doesn't materialize. Medvedev is not some sort of a genius. He may be smarter than many of his young peers (he even went to uni, while most others are high school dropouts), but his game has its obvious limitations and he hasn't found his way around them. Djokovic, otoh, is trying to address his, and as far as this tournament goes at least, had great success at that.

Strange presser. He seems very content losing the way he did. Compare that to Tsitsipas, who was absolutely devastated after his loss... These guys are extreme. The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.

·
Premium Member
21,534 Posts
Strange presser. He seems very content losing the way he did. Compare that to Tsitsipas, who was absolutely devastated after his loss... These guys are extreme. The truth, as always, lies somewhere in the middle.
Well, on the court he was certainly upset, he seemed complaining to his box after every single point.

·
Registered
9,385 Posts
Well, on the court he was certainly upset, he seemed complaining to his box after every single point.
Yep. And that's Medvedev for you. No reason to believe his sulky brattiness was eradicated last year. It's just strange seeing a top player in such good spirits after a beatdown. Could be his way of coping, of course.

Reactions: Nole Fan #1

·
Premium Member
21,534 Posts
Yep. And that's Medvedev for you. No reason to believe his sulky brattiness was eradicated last year. It's just strange seeing a top player in such good spirits after a beatdown. Could be his way of coping, of course.
In a way he wasn't even close, so not much to regret except "should've/could've played better". If he lost a tight match probably it would've been different I guess.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts
No, Djokovic is not a cyborg. It is that kind of mentality that is sickening. Before this final you had beaten him three times out of seven. Not bad at all. Not being able to put up any resistance in a slam final is purely mental. I could understand if someone ranked 50 wouldn't believe his chances too much but if you're ranked number 4?
This at least shows that people (even MTF "experts" :LOL:) read too much into Bo3 results and not getting the overall picture.
If you are able to bring your best level in slams then you should be more than enough prepared for the mental battle. This may not be valid for Medvedev though, as he was rattled in USO semi and here too.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The word is not suited at all because what is beautiful in the big 3 is their ability to use their humain side to overcome adversity. All three of them accepted decline on some of their strenght (rallies for Djokovic for example) and worked on service, or return for Nadal. They showed resilience and humility.

But yeah I understand how the young guns can be frustrated by the three best tennismen in history, that's only natural.
Underrated comment. They all have adapted. Neo backhand by Fed, new Djoko serve and Nadals return come to mind. All of those are very noticalbe changes in their game.

·
justice for all
16,839 Posts
It's weird.

How can you expect this guy to put up any fight if he's happy losing to his idol?

Loser's mentality. That's all he's got.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts
It's weird.

How can you expect this guy to put up any fight if he's happy losing to his idol?

And I thought only Felix-Loser Aliassime is affected by that. I was wrong :LOL:

The problem is that people make up their own reality and then get very disappointed when it doesn't materialize. Medvedev is not some sort of a genius.
Yet MTF made him look like one for a while.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Underrated comment. They all have adapted. Neo backhand by Fed, new Djoko serve and Nadals return come to mind. All of those are very noticalbe changes in their game.
Federer's neo backhand was only an early 2017 thing. Maybe if he gets his backhand back up to that level again, he can compete for Grand Slam titles again, but he still wouldn't be the favourite against Djokovic at any Grand Slam event.

·
Registered
763 Posts
It's weird.

You're quite disapointing dude. I did not despise Thiem for being trashed by Nadal the first time he faced him in RG...

·
Registered
763 Posts
And I thought only Felix-Loser Aliassime is affected by that. I was wrong :LOL:

Yet MTF made him look like one for a while.
But the recency bias is HUGE on this board, I think it accounts for 90% of the posts. Medvedev was god and now he is the worst player ever. Jeeez, people, relax.

·
justice for all
16,839 Posts
You're quite disapointing dude. I did not despise Thiem for being trashed by Nadal the first time he faced him in RG...
Sorry. I am just disappointed but you are right - maybe my bashing is excessive.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts
But the recency bias is HUGE on this board, I think it accounts for 90% of the posts. Medvedev was god and now he is the worst player ever. Jeeez, people, relax.
I still have him as the second best hardcourt player as of now.
Tsitsipas/Thiem/Nadal in the 3rd place as neither stands out from this group too much overall.

Btw recency bias is good to judge the status quo, but you cannot predict anything based on that.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts