Mens Tennis Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Given the horrible results Medvedev got at WTF, especially his attitude against Nadal, what do you think his next year is going to be?

As someone who had been seduced by Medvedev's clutchness so far, his match against Nadal broke a bit of my spirit. But looking it now, I think it had to happen soon or later, and the sooner the better. It's better for him to lose the WTF, even in this fashion, than to be overly confident and be eliminated early at AO.

The last match against Zverev gave signs that his skills did not go anywhere, I'm pretty sure he is here to stay in the top 5, at least top 10.

What do you think?

·
Registered
8,031 Posts
Time to retire

·
Registered
170 Posts
He will be in the top 10 but players will see that he struggles to create peace on his own. Even Zverev was slicing him today. He has a few things to work on off season, much like all the other young guns.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
my two cents: he has been, let's say, mentally unstable in the past. he worked on it and got better. when he went on his run this summer, all the past problems looked like they were far behind, high on confidence, clutch, great fighting spirit... now the run has ended, and he is confronted again with how it is to play when you are not on your high. he couldn't handle it in this moment.
everybody plays great and is clutch when riding a high, what Daniil needs to improve is how to deal better mentally when things are not going your way, scrape through and build a new high quickly.
game-wise he will be fine, he still has areas of improvement for sure, but the past to me has proven that he can compete with the best of them.
no idea how 2020 will turn out but i am tentatively optimistic, Daniil is a very smart person and a hard worker.

Reactions: Spinn69 and Kilban

·
Registered
294 Posts
The skies the limit for the guy whose game reminds me of Safin's. His summer/fall run was the best I have seen since Venus Williams in 2000.

I am hoping for continued success at the masters and a slam to go with it, but he'll need to pick his spots and not overplay like he did this year.

·
Registered
50 Posts
His run during the NA HC swing was extremely impressive.

I know people usually get excited when an upcoming player goes on a tear but his run had a number of elements that aren't normal. I'll even go out on a limb and say that the last time i was so impressed by a young player was Djokovic himself. Obviously, it's almost impossible for Medvedev to do what Novak went on to do but i'd say that Medvedev will win multiple slams.

I wouldn't pay much attention to his performances in Paris and WTF. He's won nearly 60 matches this year and that'll burn out any player. He simply needs to rest well and once he shows up fresh in 2020, i expect him to lead the next Gen's charge for the slams.

·
Registered
6,930 Posts
I excepted him to cool off but still land on his feet; instead he crushed own to earth cratering the entire place. A bit of a troubling end to the season for Meddy if we are being honest.

His forehand needs to have more consistent bite especially against the slice. He should also cut on those visible signs of mental flakiness (those constant sarcastic gestures are just wasted energy. He would be better off carrying himself as an emotionless killer) ..

AO 2020 will be telling for how he will proceede from here.

·
Banned
3,263 Posts
The skies the limit for the guy whose game reminds me of Safin's. His summer/fall run was the best I have seen since Venus Williams in 2000.

I am hoping for continued success at the masters and a slam to go with it, but he'll need to pick his spots and not overplay like he did this year.
How the hell does he remind you of Safin lmao? Safin was aggressive and Medvedev is pusher like and plays like a wall. Nonetheless, he’ll be consistent throughout the years bar injury but he won’t win most of the big titles since he doesn’t have any big weapons to hurt you with.

·
The special one
14,778 Posts
He's had a few bad results, although I just put that down to a gruelling few months that's finally caught up with him, certainly no need to hit the panic button, I'm sure he'll still be in the top 5 at the end of next year.

If anything the last two tournaments could be a blessing in disguise because the expectation going into next year won't be as huge, Zverev was getting hyped up after winning WTF last year, same with Dimi the year before that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts