Mens Tennis Forums banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Instead of blabbering maybe you dhould educate yourself about tennis. There is great book called "Winning ugly " by Brad Gilbert. You will see its as simple as you think...
Lol, does the book give sophisticated tactical advice such as "Hit corners but safe"!

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I think what hurt Med more than anything was that he was expecting to get more free points on his own serve than he was getting and was expecting Novak to not get as many free points on serve as he was.

Med likes to get a lot of free points on serve and then dig in physically on the return, but Djokovic was nullifying his serve and forcing him to work to hold serve points and I think that quickly wore Med out mentally.
At last, a good point can be found in this thread.
Of course, this highlights the pathetic nature of the loss. This intelligent, varied player, great server and returner that Medvedev is supposed to be: a) didn't expect Djokovic to return too well; b) failed to prepare and was unable to deal with a decent return rate with any efficiency; c) couldn't return well himself and habitually played passively even against 2nd serves. Also couldn't generate pace without drowning in errors, couldn't volley (as usual), and couldn't pass - for someone lauded as this epic defender Medvedev's footwork is thoroughly mediocre. And haters still say Roddick was a mug, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lol, does the book give sophisticated tactical advice such as "Hit corners but safe"!
Yes it does. I am not saying Medvedev is pusher but he returns pretty much everything. If you are playing against these kind of players worse tactics would be to go for winners. You want them to run but you go with a safe shots. Sorry buddy but you dont know much about tennis especially about tactical game. You think somebody goes to the court and just suddenly get mental breakdown. No wonder why so many federer fans are dumb. You have media create your opinion about everything....

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Yes it does. I am not saying Medvedev is pusher but he returns pretty much everything. If you are playing against these kind of players worse tactics would be to go for winners. You want them to run but you go with a safe shots. Sorry buddy but you dont know much about tennis especially about tactical game. You think somebody goes to the court and just suddenly get mental breakdown. No wonder why so many federer fans are dumb. You have media create your opinion about everything....
Dude, listen carefully:

It's not that I think "Hit corners but safe" is bad tactics, but that it's supremely, extraordinarily, comically, utterly platitudinous. It's like saying your tactics were not to hit into the net, or not to hit long, or to get most of your serves in!

Like, duh!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are in Djokovic shoes night before match what your plan would be? You are going against player on winning streak and you lost last 3 matches. You know he is not much intimidated by you. Also you are against great server and great returner. What your priorities would be? Only certain thing is that he will try to return every ball and that his 5 sets record is bad. So now its the start of the match. Everybody is nervous. Especially player who never won GS. Djokovic right away goes with strong shots to his weak side, forehand. Medvedev gets more tight. He doesnt expects this right away. Djokovic takes a break. This is how Djokovic starts most finals in Australia. Remember first set with Nadal and before that with Murray. Than he keeps ball in court and gets Medvedev running. Again he doesnt go for winners but he plays a variety of shots. Medvedev takes a break but it seems Djokovic is not affected by this. After whole set Medvedev legs are burning. Not much but he sees that he does most of the running. So he wants to change things and starts to shorten points. Djokovic returns almost everything and most of the time in the middle of the court. Slowly Medvedev is getting frustrated because of occasional miss. At the same time frustration, plus a fact that he is not in control kics in, and his first serve suffers. The rest is history. I think Djokovic priority was to make him run, try to return serve the best he can and to avoid winners. Funny thing is that me as a Djokovic fan, i ws praying that he doesnt go for a winners. I was hoping he will go in the middle. I thought it will go 5 sets and Djokovic fitness will prevail. But i could never imagine that he would have tactics to neutralize his serve. That was really masterpiece. It was plan executed so well. On the other hand i think Medvedev was hoping that Djokovic will go for winners like previous matches. I think he didnt expect Djokovic like this at all which resulted in racquet smashing out of frustration. Thats why i dont think Med was bad or he had bad day. He was just outsmarted. Thats why he wasnt upset. He took it as good experience and i am sure he had learned a lot from this match. Now he sees that he needs a lot more in order to win GS. Thats why i think he would benefit from a coach who won GS.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I like that he is confident. Its like people here pretend not to be aware that Djokovic is one of the BOATs.

If he said that he played bad people here would find some other way to whine about it. Sad but true

·
Registered
7,974 Posts
Again, so the tactics of the 33-year-old with the torn abdominal muscle were to outlast the fit 25-year-old in gruelling rallies?

And that it took all of one set for the 33-year-old to achieve this and for the 25-year-old to tire out?

Interesting reality-bending stuff.
It's pretty unbelievable that you even have to spell out how ridiculous this is and he (and others) still don't get it.

It's not that Medvedev should necessarily win of course but that he go down so meekly when he should have a solid chance to wear down Djokovic given their respective ages and the decline in Novak's fitness we have seen...that's not befitting of a guy with Medvedev's play style in the first place and especially at the point that he is challenging for slams. It's absurd to say after a set and light path to the final that Medvedev knew he couldn't outlast Novak. No, this was a different problem.

Medevev's comments after the match were borderline of the variety that we saw from guys like Berretini after Federer waxed him at Wimbledon and almost sounded like he wanted to thank Novak for the lesson too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
He was really bad, i dont think Med will be a threat in slam finals. Nadal should have straight setted him in 2019 USO.

·
11,158 Posts
40-15er still wants to play himself and I honestly doubt he will coach in the future. What has he got to learn other players? How to choke on a 40-15 score while serving for the match?
Werent you warned for baiting just today???

·
Registered
19,671 Posts
It gives some really detailed advice based on:
"The key to success, he says, is to become a better thinking player - to recognize, analyze, and capitalize. That means out-thinking opponents before, during, and after a match - forcing him or her to play your game. Gilbert's unconventional advice includes:

• How to identify the seven "Hidden Ad Points", and what to do when they come up
  • Six reasons why you should never serve first
  • How to beat a lefty, a retriever, a serve-volley player, and other troublesome opponents
  • How to keep a lead or stop a match from slipping away
  • How to handle psyching and gamesmanship"

Though Djokovic has been choosing to serve first in recent years more often than ever before. He surely missed to apply that.
Otherwise Djokovic has been improving on tactics lately, his only recent tactical failure was in 2020 RG final which he was unprepared for.

Djokovic forced Medvedev to play his game, or rather to adapt to his game, which Medvedev couldn't do as efficient as in their earlier encounters.

Reactions: bovegas

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Werent you warned for baiting just today???
Serious question; Since when is speaking out cold hard facts baiting mr. moderator? I suppose the truth hurts...

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Oh sorry, that was bovegas's amusing theory!

So bovegas thinks he tired Medvedev out by not hitting to the corners, and you think he tired Medvedev out by hitting to the corners. OK, fine, you'll have to sort that out between yourselves!

But, come on! A grand slam final and the 25-year.old was out of legs after one set! While the 33-year-old with the torn abdominal muscle wasn't?

Give me a break. There is no explanation for Medvedev's total mental collapse other than his mental weakness.
I agree completely with all you write, we are basically saying the same thing, you have continued to argue the position into the later sets with Djok fans who want all the credit going to Djok.
Well of course they do ...

But the question that I wanted to pursue--is why med was so lame, mentally, after 1 set, because he was NOT with Nadal. This is what I was hoping Med would address, rather than just deny he shat the bed.
One thing I noticed is the crowd was quite fiercely against him here--to the point of yelling out between points constantly--while in NY the crowd was FOR him--they wanted a match!--right up till the 5th set when they switched back to Nadal, their true favourite.
It doesn't really explain Med's implosion, but it's the only thing i can think of. OH of course, other than Djokovic.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
I like that he is confident. Its like people here pretend not to be aware that Djokovic is one of the BOATs.

If he said that he played bad people here would find some other way to whine about it. Sad but true
I wouldn't whine about it. I would have had more respect for him if he could have admitted it. And explained why he played poorly.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
I agree completely with all you write, we are basically saying the same thing, you have continued to argue the position into the later sets with Djok fans who want all the credit going to Djok.
Well of course they do ...

But the question that I wanted to pursue--is why med was so lame, mentally, after 1 set, because he was NOT with Nadal. This is what I was hoping Med would address, rather than just deny he shat the bed.
One thing I noticed is the crowd was quite fiercely against him here--to the point of yelling out between points constantly--while in NY the crowd was FOR him--they wanted a match!--right up till the 5th set when they switched back to Nadal, their true favourite.
It doesn't really explain Med's implosion, but it's the only thing i can think of. OH of course, other than Djokovic.
Why was Medevedev so weak mentally?

My guess is because he's just happy to make up the numbers. He loves giving interviews and being gracious and witty, and he doesn't have any grit.

Did you notice how easily Djokovic broke himself at the start of the second set? Djokovic from five years ago, ten years ago would never give away a sloppy game like that. Never.

Medvedev thinks he's playing some kind of elite version of Djokovic and Nadal, when in reality he's playing against a much-declined version of both.

On Sunday, he had a chance to win a slam against an ATG who was old and injured, and yet he managed to beat himself in straight sets.

There is simply no accounting for that level of weakness and spinelessness.

Medvedev will almost certainly end up slamless, and then he'll find that not so many people are actually interested in interviewing him on TV.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
At last, a good point can be found in this thread.
Of course, this highlights the pathetic nature of the loss. This intelligent, varied player, great server and returner that Medvedev is supposed to be: a) didn't expect Djokovic to return too well; b) failed to prepare and was unable to deal with a decent return rate with any efficiency; c) couldn't return well himself and habitually played passively even against 2nd serves. Also couldn't generate pace without drowning in errors, couldn't volley (as usual), and couldn't pass - for someone lauded as this epic defender Medvedev's footwork is thoroughly mediocre. And haters still say Roddick was a mug, lol.
Excuses, excuses & more lame excuses. "Didn't expect" best returner in the game currently "to return well"; "Couldn't return well" vs a player who was hitting the most accurate aces up to the final; Of all the remaining 4, if not 8 in QF, baseliner Medved in the lower half of volleying (surprise); Medved was at times forced to move vertically to forecourt while his forte is lateral movement from baseline (surprise again).

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Excuses, excuses & more lame excuses. "Didn't expect" best returner in the game currently "to return well"; "Couldn't return well" vs a player who was hitting the most accurate aces up to the final; Of all the remaining 4, if not 8 in QF, baseliner Medved in the lower half of volleying (surprise); Medved was at times forced to move vertically to forecourt while his forte is lateral movement from baseline (surprise again).
That's not an exuse, it's an indictment.
Baseliners unable to volley is the pure modern weak crap, in the past even renowned baselinebots like Agassi and Chang were considerably more competent at net than any of these nextgenies rofl.

·
Registered
72 Posts
YES final of Medvedev BAD

and because I am lost many euro for this... yes , I lost but since 2012 NO BET

Australian final I am putting 120 euro for MORE OVER 3 sets..... no risk (but) small euro reward...

And... 3 sets. Because Medvedev BAD from 1 sets... Djokovic very good player ok but Medvedev :mad:

It is ok , it is my mistakes , I forget Medvedev :)

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Why was Medevedev so weak mentally?

My guess is because he's just happy to make up the numbers. He loves giving interviews and being gracious and witty, and he doesn't have any grit.

Did you notice how easily Djokovic broke himself at the start of the second set? Djokovic from five years ago, ten years ago would never give away a sloppy game like that. Never.

Medvedev thinks he's playing some kind of elite version of Djokovic and Nadal, when in reality he's playing against a much-declined version of both.

On Sunday, he had a chance to win a slam against an ATG who was old and injured, and yet he managed to beat himself in straight sets.

There is simply no accounting for that level of weakness and spinelessness.

Medvedev will almost certainly end up slamless, and then he'll find that not so many people are actually interested in interviewing him on TV.
Agree with all you say though he might not end up slamless, given a lack of mental fortitude in almost all up and comers. Even Thiem, the best it seems, remember all the choking USO final?

101 - 120 of 140 Posts