Mens Tennis Forums banner

61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
You couldn't tell the difference between his semi press conf and his final press conf - not good enough. At least Tsitsi, Serena etc looked depressed. Way too accepting, as if it was just a bad day at the office and will be better next time. Just not made of the same stuff as the Big 3.
As if big 3 are so similar in the way they deal with defeat. Med is a great character and it's a good thing he's not depressed over something he can not change.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
You must have heard a different presser than did. The very first thing he said at the Ao presser "I didn't play bad, I didn't play great." I listened for about 5 more minutes and I didn't hear any admission that he did not play well--maybe that came later. I was too grossed out to continue listening, he sounded so pleased with himself!
I don't want to take credit away from DJok, truly. He was brilliant in the 1rst set and showed Med how good Med would have to be to get anywhere at all. It's incredible how vulnerable he seemed at this tourn, then how easily he beat supposedly the other "best" player there. IT occurred to me before the match that maybe MTFers and oddsmakers were overestimating Med (though he was on a really big HC winning streak, and had beat Djok recently, and had the best H2H against Djok of the young ones, I think) because actually Med's last two matches against top ten players, Rub and Tsitsi, were maybe not indicative of Med's level because Rub faded in the heat, and Tsitsi was spent when he stepped on the court.
Theoretically if it went long, Med was in better shape to handle, given how much Djok had played up to that point and the idea (still difficult for me to see) that he was still injured. So Med should have been motivated to give it his all 2nd set. Truthfully, I fast forwarded my recording in that set, hoping to see Med come back and make a match of it, but every point I watched (not whole games) Med looked awful. Missing by 20 feet on groundies, etc.
Anyway, not taking anything away from Djok, just to be clear. But I am still saying that med gave a really crappy performance. Try to remember how hard he fought against Nadal USO!
A lot of people overestimated Med and underestimated Djokovic(it happens some times, I myself was surprised by how easy the last 2 sets were despite expecting a 4 maybe even 3 set match in novaks favor), each match is different, it was on novaks most successful hunting grounds and it gave him confidence, the court was different compared to some of their recent meetings and the stage as well. Novak did pretty much everything right while med slowly got sucked into djokovics game plan and couldn't break free. He somewhere mentioned that against Nadal he had some time to think through and come up with something and eventually managed to change the momentum but against novak he felt rushed and the match ended in what felt to him like half an hour.
As for if the match went five, meds 5 set record is terrible, his only 5 set win came against Jrajinovic so he was not a big fave no matter what form djokovic(if novak beat zverev in 4 tough sets he can play 5 even if he is not at his physicals best, the injury did not effect his play in the last few days on court) is in a 5 set match.

It was a very predictable knee jerk reaction, but I think Med doesn't deserve such treatment. But whatever, even if med lost in a 5 set thriller many fans would have still bashed him for being a mental midget. Its clear he is not happy or satisfied with his performance but he looks forward to another chance to fight for the big trophies.

Reactions: Why So Serious?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Or Federer, this would be probably the best move from Federer to prevent Djokovic and Nadal to surpass his record with huge number. LOL
40-15er still wants to play himself and I honestly doubt he will coach in the future. What has he got to learn other players? How to choke on a 40-15 score while serving for the match?

Reactions: DjokoKing

·
Registered
30 Posts
A lot of people overestimated Med and underestimated Djokovic(it happens some times, I myself was surprised by how easy the last 2 sets were despite expecting a 4 maybe even 3 set match in novaks favor), each match is different, it was on novaks most successful hunting grounds and it gave him confidence, the court was different compared to some of their recent meetings and the stage as well. Novak did pretty much everything right while med slowly got sucked into djokovics game plan and couldn't break free. He somewhere mentioned that against Nadal he had some time to think through and come up with something and eventually managed to change the momentum but against novak he felt rushed and the match ended in what felt to him like half an hour.
As for if the match went five, meds 5 set record is terrible, his only 5 set win came against Jrajinovic so he was not a big fave no matter what form djokovic(if novak beat zverev in 4 tough sets he can play 5 even if he is not at his physicals best, the injury did not effect his play in the last few days on court) is in a 5 set match.

It was a very predictable knee jerk reaction, but I think Med doesn't deserve such treatment. But whatever, even if med lost in a 5 set thriller many fans would have still bashed him for being a mental midget. Its clear he is not happy or satisfied with his performance but he looks forward to another chance to fight for the big trophies.
Medvedev is very intelligent guy. He had realized that he had been overplayed with tactic. He had accept it as a learning curve. Only dumb guy would think that he lost because he had a bad day. He had realized that there is much more for him to learn and why he would be depressed. He has great capability and he has brain. In the future he will be dominant. As Djokovic told him "wait couple more years"...

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
lmao you really believe that? Medvedev would have to have utterly pathetic stamina if he couldn't handle more than a set of moderate rallying intensity.
I think Med knew coming in that he had to play long rallies consistently to win this match, but would not make it through a long match (4-5 sets) playing that way. Therefor once he lost the 1st set a bit of doubt and panic set in that he had to do something drastic to win and started trying to force aggressive shots which led to spraying errors.

Also while his long term stamina may not have been depleted after one set it is well within reason to think that he may have been feeling it enough in the legs to know that he couldn't keep playing that way for 3-4 more sets.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I think Med knew coming in that he had to play long rallies consistently to win this match, but would not make it through a long match (4-5 sets) playing that way. Therefor once he lost the 1st set a bit of doubt and panic set in that he had to do something drastic to win and started trying to force aggressive shots which led to spraying errors.

Also while his long term stamina may not have been depleted after one set it is well within reason to think that he may have been feeling it enough in the legs to know that he couldn't keep playing that way for 3-4 more sets.
Medvedev had an easy run to the final (five sets vs Krajinovic but even that match barely exceeded 3 hours, the rest was routine) and should have peak stamina at 25. If he can't even hope to match 33 y.o. Djokovic stamina-wise, he's just a total mug. Also there hasn't been that many long rallies in the first set anyway.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts

Yes, and of course it's perfectly normal for a healthy 25-year-old to tire before a 33-year-old with a torn abdominal muscle who had spent much more time on court during the tournament.

In any case, we'll never know because Medvedev shat his pants.

But at least he got to spend time on court with the "god" of his childhood, so that should be a nice comfort to him when he finishes his career slamless.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yes, and of course it's perfectly normal for a healthy 25-year-old to tire before a 33-year-old with a torn abdominal muscle who had spent much more time on court during the tournament.

But at least he got to spend time on court with the "god" of his childhood, so that should be a nice comfort to him when he finishes his career slamless.
Andy Murray most recent comment:
It's different standing to return or to serve in a Grand Slam final, than a quarter-final or a semi-final, when you are coming up against someone who's won 17 of them," he continued.

"It's pretty intimidating and the younger guys have not shown that they are particularly close. At the US Open, (Dominic) Thiem did what he had to do to win the event, but if Novak hadn't put a ball through the line judge's throat, it would have been the same outcome, I think."

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts

Do you watch their matches? Djokovic routinely makes Med run quite a bit more in their matches and it is exhausting to always be the one playing defense.

On top of that Med is 1-6 all time in 5 set matches for a reason and that is because he doesn't have exceptional fitness yet. Djokovic on the other hand knows how to tune his training and even diet to get the absolute highest fitness possible.

Being 33 makes recovery take a little longer, but it doesn't mean that there is steep decline in your fitness. I mean just look at Fed playing a match to 12-12 in the 5th at like 38 years old.

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Do you watch their matches? Djokovic routinely makes Med run quite a bit more in their matches and it is exhausting to always be the one playing defense.

On top of that Med is 1-6 all time in 5 set matches for a reason and that is because he doesn't have exceptional fitness yet. Djokovic on the other hand knows how to tune his training and even diet to to get the absolute highest fitness possible.

Being 33 makes recovery take a little longer, but it doesn't mean that there is steep decline in your fitness. I mean just look at Fed playing a match to 12-12 in the 5th at like 38 years old.
Again, so the tactics of the 33-year-old with the torn abdominal muscle were to outlast the fit 25-year-old in gruelling rallies?

And that it took all of one set for the 33-year-old to achieve this and for the 25-year-old to tire out?

Interesting reality-bending stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Again, so the tactics of the 33-year-old with the torn abdominal muscle were to outlast the fit 25-year-old in gruelling rallies?

And that it took all of one set for the 33-year-old to achieve this and for the 25-year-old to tire out?

Interesting reality-bending stuff.
Yes as long as he is not the one doing all the running and he wasn't.

61 - 80 of 140 Posts